none
project workflow question - PWA check out after phase RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

PS 2010 SP1.

I have a small question - how to disable project check-out by PWA after workflow stage completes?

Workflow is developed in VS and works almost fine.

First stage - a Manager creates a project proposal and submits it for approvement.

On this stage WF changes the owner of the project and publishes the project - a Manager now has read-only rights for the projest.

But after the stage completes - PWA tries to check out the project and cannot do it! says "No rights" and so on - not nice message ;(

Can I disable checking out by PWA after stage completion?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:39 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem a few weeks earlier.

Are you using "Check in required" in your workflow stages? If yes. Don't do it and check in your project in your workflow. I have written a custom activity for this issue. You also can use a code activity but I think it's more complicated to get PSI access out of a code activity. This will prevent Project Server to check out your project after the stage ist completed.

In some cases the "Check in reuquired" checkbox of the workflow stages is used wrong. This will ask the Project Server to check in the project because you are updating some custom fields in your workflow. It's behaviour by design that Project Server checks out your project after stage completition.

Good luck ;)

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Thanks, yes - I have check in required...

I'll experiment with disabling "check in required" and custom activity for check in...

By the way - if I force check in from workfow - are the changes that the user makes in PWA before pressing Submit being saved?

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:04 PM
  • No. The user would receive a error message that the project is not checked out to him.

Check in the project after Submit.

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

I was wrong. If you do a custom activity the behaviour is the same. The project will be checked out after submit. Like with activated "check in required" checkbox. Another option would be to replace the Submitt-button functionality or place a second Submit-And-Close-button in the ribbon by creating a custom action. If the user clicks on Submit-And-Close the project would be closed and submitted. I'm not sure if it's working. I will try in the next few days.

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

I was wrong. If you do a custom activity the behaviour is the same. The project will be checked out after submit. Like with activated "check in required" checkbox. Another option would be to replace the Submitt-button functionality or place a second Submit-And-Close-button in the ribbon by creating a custom action. If the user clicks on Submit-And-Close the project would be closed and submitted. I'm not sure if it's working. I will try in the next few days.

Thanks for saving my time - I didn't have time for experiments with that yet... :) Let me know if you have any results ;)
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:44 AM