none
changed port on default instance, now cant connect remote

All replies

• When you use a different port the the Default, then the SQL Server-Browser must run; that one resolve the SQL Server instance name to the used IP port.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

Its running, i started it after i installed the named instance.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:46 AM
  • Can you establish a connection on the local machine where SQL Server is running; the "Shared Memory" protocol is used instead of TCP/IP.

Do you see any error messages in SQL Server ErrorLog file? Do you see in the start sequence "is listening on ip port <...>"?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:05 PM
  • I am confused. You have multiple instances - are they listening on 1433? Your listener is configured to listen on 1435?

How many AGs do you have in your Always on Topology? Can you list their IPs and Listener IPs and ports here?

When I run into issues like this I try to connect to the primary and replica instances in your always on topology via management studio or SQLCMD, use the severname,1433 in the connection dialog.

Then to connect to your listener, again in Management studio use Listenername, 1435

Olaf is giving you great advice to determining how to figure out what your primary and replicas are listening on via the SQL Server error logs on the individual machines. Use this to try to connect in management studio.

Now to determine your listener port expand your listener and right click on it.

Also check your replicas to make sure that they are both not red.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hi.

Thanks for answering, sorry for the confusion.

Its working now. :)

To explain in a fairly simple way how the setup is now:

2 node AO AG cluster.

On both nodes:

Default instance (running on port 1435) with AG1 (Running on port 1433)

Named instance (running og port 50249) with AG2 (Running on port 1433)

As I see it this is the only way of having the extra named instance with extra AG's. Before I changed the 2nd AG to port 1433 the connections to AG2 where ending up in the default instance.

• Edited by niklasrene Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:19 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:18 PM