Want to launch metro apps from web browser without using Protocol Activation Extension RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a metro apps installed on windows 8, now i want to launch metro apps from web browser through given link without using Protocol Activation Extension.

is there any option through java script or by any thing else?

Ravi Shankar

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:41 AM

Answers

• No, you cannot do this.  Metro style apps can only be programmatically launched using protocol or file extensions handlers.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:26 PM

All replies

• No, you cannot do this.  Metro style apps can only be programmatically launched using protocol or file extensions handlers.

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Thank you.

Ravi Shankar

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh770511

Refer to Page 29 of attached designing-user-experience-mobile-operator-apps doc:

"Automatic launch from connection manager during a captive portal purchase flow"

Under this: When connected to a captive portal network where web traffic is redirected, Windows provides mobile network operators the option to automatically launch their app if it’s installed.

Then, how the operator can exactly do this? 

That means Operator can launch their application by clicking on "View My Account" in the network pane, so can we apply same process to open the Metro apps from browser?

If YES please tell me what is the process behind this.

Regards

Ravi Shankar

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:30 AM
  • Edit:
    This does not seem to have anything to do with the browser.  If the user is connected to the network, the network pane has the ability to launch an associated Metro style app.  The app does not open from the browser. 

What is your scenario that you want to open an app from the brower without a protocol or file extension handler?  It would be really simple to handle a unique file extension.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Matt,

The app can certainly be launched from the Connection Manager, but that is not the user case we are trying to solve. Here is the detailed scenario:

User is connected to an MNO but does not have a data plan or their  existing data plan has expired.

User uses their browser to connect to some site, say msn.com.

MNO's gateway detects that the user does not have a data plan. They have two options now:

1. Redirect them to MNO's purchase portal within the browser.

2. Launch MNO's Metro style Mobile Broadband App that is already installed on user's machine for a better user experience. 

#2 is the preferred approach as the operator broadband app is designed to provide a better user experience. So the question is:

a) Is there a way for the operator backend to automatically launch the app?

b) Is there a way for the operator to provide a landing page that has a link that the user can click to launch the app without requiring a confirmation dialog.

Option a) is preferred. What has been tried so far:

i) Protocol association for the metro app and the backend issuing a redirect to a url using using this custom protocol. It does result in launch of the app, however user gets a Confirmation dialog to allow launch of the app. We would like to have a solution that does not require this confirmation dialog.

ii) Meta tag usage on the landing page to associate the page with the Broadband app using msApplication-ID, msApplication-PackageFamilyName  in header tag of the page. This results in IE correctly associating the page with the installed app and provides a link to launch the app. However this link is buried in the Settings menu and is not explicitly visible on the site. A naive user would not know to look for this launch link. Also, this approach works only if user is using Metro IE, not desktop IE or any other desktop browser. Using this approach however DOES NOT result in the confirmation dialog, which is good but it is somewhat of a limiting solution.

So the solution that we are looking for is for a page to determine that the broadband app is installed and ability to automatically launch it without requiring user intervention. We have not tried the extension association approach yet. 

Thx

Rahul 

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:42 PM
  • I recommend that you try the extension handler.  If there's a default handler for that extension, then it should open with no dialog. 

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:32 PM