none
infopath 2013 exceeds maximum number of columns

Question

• Hi,

I'm working on a form with over 600 fields(columns) and over 600 controls.  I got error message in Infopath saying that I "exceeds maximum number of columns".  I then try to promote what I already created, over 400 columns/fields to the document Library that I already created with just about 30 fields/columns.

I get error message when updating my existing document on SPO with these new 400 fields I then got error message that "Cannot update library or list".  I had to remove about 100 fields/columns from the promoted list before SPO would update the document library successfully.

I then looked up the row limitation here, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Apparently I have hit the row size limitation.  I'm looking for idea on implementing a large document library using InfoPath 2013.  I though about breaking up the fields to 2 or 3 document library or lists and then join them back together in views.  How would one go by uploading to several different document libraries or lists from InfoPath 2013?  Is this where the custom code is needed in the Submit option or is there a short cut to do this?  Any url on example design or implemention would be most helpful as well.  Thank you.

Thank you

Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi laJasmine- I don't think there's anything you can do about that. You simply can't have that many columns in a form/list, regardless of where you send the information. This sounds more like a planning/organization issue. I can't imagine anyone needing that many columns. Take a hard look at what you're doing and see if there's a better way to tackle your project. Think about using content types, checkboxes (multiple selections) and multi-line text columns to combine information. Besides, I can't imagine any user wanting to fill in that much information!

If you absolutely must have too many fields, then I suggest having a trigger in the InfoPath form to open another (tied to another list). In the end, you could use a content query or rollup to show all of the information in one place.

Another way to go about it is to just use an Office file with all the fields and store them in a doc library.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by laJasmine Monday, March 27, 2017 6:31 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:13 PM