Blend 4 and VS 2010 not working well together RRS feed

• Question

• We developed a Silverlight project that works well and is hosted on Azure. I prefer to design using Blend and edit code using Visual Studio. The integration of the two has been causing me a lot of trouble.

For instance -

- If I use "Open in Blend" from VS, Blend opens the project, I log into TFS, and the appropriate file opens. All looks great. Except that I can't move any controls on the design surface or change any values (like Margin). If I do make changes, they get snapped back to the original values. But if I save the file and re-open, the changes have taken effect. For example, change margin from 10 to 150 on a control, the margin goes back to 10. Save, close, open the file and the margin is 150.

- If I close Blend, re-open the project (not going through VS), the same thing can happen. After a few iterations of starting Blend in different ways, Blend starts to behave as expected and I can edit the file and see the changes.

I'm wondering if there is some locking of the design surface going on between Blend and VS? Or some other bit that I missed.  

My environment is -

Visual Studio 2010 v10.0.30319.1
    Expression Blend 4 v4.0.20525.0
    Windows 7 Ultimate w/Service Pack 1 running as a VM with VMWARE on Mac OS 10.6.8 

Thanks,

Dan

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• In this case you might want to try filing a bug on our connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/expression

But as a work around you might try going to VS and explicitly checking out the file in the solution explorer, then going to Blend to do your editing work. I'm not entirely sure what is going on by your description but it sounds like it's not automatically checking things out right away.

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:19 PM