Custom Coded UI Inputs RRS feed

• Question

• We are wanting to setup coded UI tests for our software but we use some proprietary hardware which is an input to the system. It seems that there is no way to extend the possible action/inputs of a coded UI test beyond Mouse and Keyboard. I know we could write the code but then we loose the speed of recording all the actions. 

I have searched through extending the architecture but this just seems like something which is beyond the scope of coded UI. So do I have to write my own coded UI system from scratch or is there something I am missing.

Friday, September 12, 2014 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Olie,

Microsoft Visual Studio Coded UI tests drive mouse and keyboard. And Visual Studio Coded UI test has supported configurations and platforms for action recording and playback, reference: Supported Configurations and Platforms for Coded UI Tests and Action Recordings

We can extend custom controls/third-party controls for Coded UI support, but there is no way to extend other inputs beyond mouse and keyboard. I am afraid that you have to write your own Coded UI test system or look for other UI test tools.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Friday, September 19, 2014 1:32 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 8:48 AM