VS2017: JavaScript breakpoints not hit when debugging React in Chrome, Edge, or FireFox. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am debugging asp.net core 2.2/React app with IIS Express, and the breakpoints set in JSX and JavaScript code are only hit when IE- 11 is selected. One problem with this is that IE-11 does not support ES6 Promise, so it fails to complete. When I switch browser to either Chrome or Edge or Fire Fox, the application works but I cannot hit any break point in JSX or JavaScript.

Any idea?

This is Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise, Update 15.9.4.

Windows 10 Professional.

Thanks.

Monday, December 31, 2018 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi sobo123,

Please reset your VS settings, and then enable the JS debugging for Chrome under TOOLS->Options->Debugging-General, view the result again.

I test it in my side, I could debug it in IE and Chrome, but in Edge, it really has a limitation.

This document shared information about Debugging using Microsoft Edge:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/03/21/visual-studio-2017-version-15-7-preview-2/

Feature request:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/9115072-support-javascript-debugging-for-microsoft-edge

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Awesome!

That was very helpful.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by sobo123 Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:49 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi sobo123,

Please reset your VS settings, and then enable the JS debugging for Chrome under TOOLS->Options->Debugging-General, view the result again.

I test it in my side, I could debug it in IE and Chrome, but in Edge, it really has a limitation.

This document shared information about Debugging using Microsoft Edge:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/03/21/visual-studio-2017-version-15-7-preview-2/

Feature request:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/9115072-support-javascript-debugging-for-microsoft-edge

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Awesome!

That was very helpful.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by sobo123 Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:49 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:49 AM
  • You are welcome, sobo123.

If my solution is helpful for you, you could accept my previous reply as the answer, so it could help other community members who get the same issue, if you get any other debugger issue, feel free to post it here.

Have a nice day,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:55 AM
  • i have same problem ... tried what you said ...it even gave me this message 

=====

Chrome script debugging in Visual Studio is enabled

• Set breakpoints in JavaScript/TypeScript in Visual Studio
    • Automatically break on script errors
    • Opening developer tools in Chrome stops the script debugging session
    Learn more about Chrome debugging in Visual Studio

Your application is starting...

==================

but still did not hit the break point in java script

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:54 AM