none
Using the K4W v2 SDK on Linux with .NET Core RRS feed

• General discussion

• tl;dr: What would it take to get the K4W v2 SDK running on .NET Core, to enable the use of the sensor on non-Windows platforms?

I've used the v2 SDK on Windows for a number of projects, but, as a robotics researcher, use Linux for most of my work. I would love to be able to use the MS Kinect v2 SDK for these projects (OpenNI2 isn't nearly as good as the K4W SDK, and skeleton tracking with the unmaintained NiTE is limited and buggy at best, and often unworkable), but - obviously - the SDK is only compatible with Windows.

However, with the recent release of .NET Core, and many of Microsoft's new open-source and Linux friendly efforts, right now seems to be an opportune moment to investigate the possibility of opening up the Kinect v2 sensor to the Linux platform. Doing so would benefit the community by giving them access to a top-notch, cheap sensor with excellent skeletal tracking, and would likely lead to a significant increase in adoption of the sensor by the research community (particularly in robotics, given how well-liked the v1 Kinect was upon its release). There are open source efforts to bring the v2 Kinect to Linux (libfreenect2 being the most notable that I've found), but they are not as stable or well-featured as the official SDK.

With all that said, I would like to know the following: First, how feasible would it be to run the Kinect v2 SDK (or at least a version of it) on Linux using .NET Core? Second, how open is Microsoft to this idea, and to allowing the community to help with the work necessary to make this a reality?

• Edited by wbthomason Monday, August 8, 2016 9:35 PM Accidentally included output of plugin for spell-checking
    Monday, August 8, 2016 9:35 PM

All replies

• I wish I could upvote this, I'm interested as well. I worked with the v1 SDK and I've been meaning to get into v2, but I would be much more excited to use it cross-platform. 

@wbthomason, if I figure out anything from tinkering I'll try to share my findings on this post.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:56 PM
  • This is just an opinion.

I doubt it. Both old and new drivers+SDK are Windows only. So officially, at this point, it's not feasible.

Perhaps in their recent transition to open source and linux support for their products, they might do something about it but I haven't heard of any attempts about it so far.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:59 AM
  • Your best chance is to look at Freenect2, which is a sort of open source driver to access the kinect2. But I don't know its current development state, if it's still supported and how far they went into supporting the device.

In any case, since the skeleton tracking algorythm is proprietary by microsoft, I don't think you'll get anything beyond the raw color, depth and infrared framebuffers.

Vicente Penades

Sunday, December 18, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Try running a Windows virtual machine. Windows 7 can run in whats called "seamless mode" with some VM software. Check out level1techs on YouTube for more info. Not sure if it would be good enough for you. You should be able to setup a virtualy unlimited virtual NIC (network connection) to send all data from the windows VM to Linux. There may even be a simpler way to get the data to Linux. Good luck and have a nice day. 
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:31 PM
  • The MS SDK(for Kinect v2) does not support Windows 7.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:42 PM