none
No map.isDownloadingTiles() in vs 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Version 8 does not have a map.IsDownloadingTiles() function.  This function is required to determine if the page is finished downloading tiles and was major part of version 7.

What is the workaround for Version 8?

Friday, June 16, 2017 3:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• This was not often used in v7 and didn't work as intended. This has been removed as v8 is a much more async control that v7. Adding a single view change end event will work as an alternative.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Friday, June 16, 2017 4:20 PM
  • Hi, Ricky

My experience is different than yours.  I found that the isDownloadingTiles() worked as expected with v7.

I tried your suggestion of using the v8 view change end event, however if worked the same as in v7.  Namely, the event will often fire even though all the tiles have not been downloaded.  This usually happens when panning the display.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I find it frustrating when things change and not for the better.

Saturday, June 17, 2017 10:36 PM
  • The isDownloadingTiles function in V7 only worked when initially loading the map after that is was hit or miss. In v8 you can add an event so that it only fires once using the addOne function https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt750279.aspx

Monday, June 19, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Hi, Ricky

Thanks for the quick response.

With V7 I put the isDownloadingTiles function within the "viewchangeend" with a one second delay timer and it worked as expected, especially when panning the display.

I also tried your addOne event with "viewchangeend" but it since (by definition it only triggers once) it does not work when panning the map.

The example website http://crpietschmann.github.io/bingmaps-v8-quickstart-samples/201-event-viewchangeend/ illustrates the problem with only the "viewchangeend" event when panning the bing v8 maps.  Just run this example and pan the map and you will see that the "viewchangeend" event is triggered before the map has updated all of tiles.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:09 PM
  • This is by design. The viewchangeend event fires when the map view has stopped moving, not when all the tiles have been loaded. 

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:50 PM