Office add-ins and/or Office automation in Windows Mobile 6.x? RRS feed

• Question

• Our Windows desktop product includes a set of add-ins for Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. We are now looking at developing a Windows Mobile 6.x version of the product using CF 3.5. I have two questions:

1. Does the concept of an Office add-in exist on the Windows Mobile platform? I've been looking through the forums and the online documentation and I can't see that it does, but I might have missed it if the concept goes by a different name on the mobile platform.

2. Is there an automation interface for the various Office Mobile applications? What we would require is methods and events that would enable our application to launch the relevant Office Mobile application to edit a particular document and then obtain notification that the user has saved or closed the document, etc. If it helps clarify what I mean, we require APIs that provide a similar capability to what JSR-211 'CHAPI' provides on J2ME-based smartphones.

Monday, May 25, 2009 12:23 PM

Answers

• 1. AFAIK no.
    2. AFAIK no.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• Sorry for bumping this but I didn't realise yesterday was a public holiday in the US and my question has now dropped to the second page!
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:42 PM
  • 1. AFAIK no.
    2. AFAIK no.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Thanks Ilya. That's what I feared. Given that you're one of the forum moderators, I'm sure your 'AFAIK' is a safe bet. But is there any chance you could bounce this off somebody in the Office Mobile team just to be doubly sure? We are at a bit of a fork in the road strategically speaking and a significant decision is hingeing on this information. As such, any efforts to clarify this 100% would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:03 PM
  • What is it that you needed to accomplish?  Office can consume HTML files so if you only needed to export information you could produce a word or excel document that conformed to the office schema.  If you needed full interoperability I believe there exists a third party component (I can't find it immediatly) that can be used to manipulate office documents on Windows Mobile.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:45 PM
  • What we're looking to develop is a Windows Mobile client for our document management system. It needs to be able to work natively with Office 2003 and 2007 formats, i.e. full interoperability as you put it. Ironically perhaps, what I'm describing was actually very easy to do on another popular smartphone platform, thanks to CHAPI (the Content Handler API). It seems strange, to say the least, that there is no equivalent to CHAPI on Windows Mobile...

But I'll try to find that third party component to which you're referring. That might do the trick, albeit at a cost. Thanks for that.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Unfortunately the answer to your question is no... sorry about that...  :)
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:44 PM