none
How to find if an audio is "slideshow narration" in PP2010 saved PPT file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a PPT (2003 binary format) parser that extract info from ppt. Till PowerPoint 2007 when we used to record narration (SlideShow -> Record Narration) and save the file as .ppt then we used to get the "ExMediaAtom" struct (section 2.10.6 in [MS-PPT]) with flag "C" set (the 3rd bit). But if we do the same thing in PowerPoint 2010 and save the file as ppt then this flag is not set. So how do we find out if the audio file is  a "narraiton" recorded for the slide show?
    Is it a bug in PP 2010 or this information has been moved to some other structure?

Let me know if I need to post this question at some other forum. 

Regards
    Rahul

Rahul
    Friday, March 11, 2011 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Rahul,

for the sake of the forum community, we discussed this offline and the problem with the fNarration bit is a bug in PowerPoint 2010 when persisting to the binary format.  The product team is aware of this problem and will be fixing this in a future service release. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi, Rahul,

Thanks for your questio.  One of our team member will investigate it and respond soon.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Friday, March 11, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Hi Rahul, 

I've been assigned to help you with this problem.  I will get back to you shortly with more information.  In the meantime, if you'd like to send me a sample file demonstrating the behaviour (fNarration not set as expected), please forward in email to dochelp at Microsoft.com, referencing this forum thread's URL and my name.   

Best regards,

Tom Jebo

Escalation Engineer

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Did you find anything?

Rahul
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hi Rahul, 

I've verified what you're seeing but am still digging to find out why PowerPoint 2010 doesn't set the fNarration bit.  Thanks for your patience. 

Best regards,

Tom Jebo

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

for the sake of the forum community, we discussed this offline and the problem with the fNarration bit is a bug in PowerPoint 2010 when persisting to the binary format.  The product team is aware of this problem and will be fixing this in a future service release. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:06 PM