SSDT BI VS2012 crashes when Control Flow objects opened for edit RRS feed

• Question

• My SSDT BI for VS2012 was running fine for a year.  However, I can no longer open Control Flow Objects for editing.  Opening any Control Flow object causes SSDT BI to crash.  I completely uninstalled SSDT for BI along with .Net framework.  I reinstalled SSDTBI VS2012 and let that installation reinstall the required .Net framework software.  The SSDT for BI install finished without error.  However, SSDT BI for VS2012 still crashes whenever I try to open a Control Flow object. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Here is the log from Event Viewer:

Application: devenv.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process
    was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info:
    System.AccessViolationException Stack: at
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Wrapper.IDTSPersist100.SaveToXML(System.Object,
    System.Object, Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Wrapper.IDTSEvents100) at
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.PersistImpl.SaveToXML(System.Xml.XmlDocument
    ByRef, System.Xml.XmlNode, Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.IDTSEvents) at
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.DtsContainer.SaveToXML(System.Xml.XmlDocument
    ByRef, System.Xml.XmlNode, Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.IDTSEvents) at
    Microsoft.SqlServer.IntegrationServices.Designer.Undo.DtsPersistSnapshot.GetSnapshotHelper(Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.IDTSPersist)
    at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr,
    System.Object[], System.Object, System.Object[] ByRef) at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage,
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessageSink) at
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.ThreadPoolCallBack(System.Object)
    at
    System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
    at
    System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext,
    System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at
    System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext,
    System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at
    System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
    at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch() at
    System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:14 PM

Answers

• I ended up filing an incident with Microsoft support.  After a couple of sessions we diagnosed the problem. There was some component of MSXML 4 that got corrupted or partially uninstalled.  We uninstalled the MSXML 4 SP updates, manually removed the msxml 4 dlls, and reinstalled msxml 4 with service packs.  This fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:03 PM

All replies

• Perhaps you installed something new. Like a 3 rd party add-on and it broke SSDT.

Install the SSDT (VS 2010 shell) that is part of the SQL Server installation media and any service packs.

Arthur My Blog

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:05 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 7:52 PM
  • I ended up filing an incident with Microsoft support.  After a couple of sessions we diagnosed the problem. There was some component of MSXML 4 that got corrupted or partially uninstalled.  We uninstalled the MSXML 4 SP updates, manually removed the msxml 4 dlls, and reinstalled msxml 4 with service packs.  This fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:03 PM
  • Thanks Arthur.   I uninstalled and reinstalled all SQL Server and Visual Studio shell components including SSDT BI. This did not fix the problem.  The problem turned out to be related to some core Windows msxml functionality that I mentioned in today's thread comment.  Thanks again...Tim 
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:06 PM