Save multiple results of a stopwatch RRS feed

• Question

• I've written a stopwatch program that works just fine and added a recall function to it so when someone pushes the save button it stores the iniger values for hour miniute and second as application level user defineable variables ie... My.Settings.Hour but that only works for one time.  I want to be able to save more than one setting, i was thinking that the text value of the label in displaing the current value  of the stopwatch could be dropped into a SQL database when the user hits the Save button on the form.  But what im getting stuck on if i got this way is getting the save button to add a new record and how to recall it.  If anybody knows a simpler way of saving the user data i'd try that as well

Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Geoffrey,

I recommend that you create a datatable to generate the XML file to persist the data. After you need to add the new record, just add a datarow to datatable. By using the datatable object, you can implement the search, sort functionalities easily. Try using the datatable object.

Public Class Form1

Dim dt As DataTable

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

dt = New DataTable

dt.TableName = "table1"

dt.Columns.Add("id", GetType(Integer))

dt.Columns.Add("name", GetType(String))

dt.Columns("id").Unique = True

If (System.IO.File.Exists("datatable_serialization.xml")) Then

dt.ReadXml("datatable_serialization.xml")

Else

For i As Integer = 0 To 10

dt.Rows.Add(i, "name " & i.ToString)

Next

End If

DataGridView1.DataSource = dt

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.FormClosing

If (dt IsNot Nothing) Then

dt.WriteXml("datatable_serialization.xml")

End If

End Sub

End Class

If you need to save the data to the database, you need to use the SqlCommand( or Oledbcommand) to issue the Insert statement to save the data into the database, visit here for your reference.

Best regards,
    Riquel
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:48 PM