Modify new mail body RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if in this new app model, you can create an app that modifies the body of the Outlook e-mail programmatically without any user interaction?

App flow would be something like this:

1. User opens New Mail window

2. Without any user interaction, app makes a web service call, and then modifies the body of the email based on what the web service returns. App doesn't contain any UI, except some Settings screen somewhere, and runs in the background.

Body can wither be modified when the New Mail window has opened, or when it is closing.

I'd appreciate input whether this is doable, thanks!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Jussi - good question - you want to use an app to help people compose email. Right now this isn't possible (mail apps are focused on the reading email experience, and while they can then go on to create new mail using the Exchange Web Service api, they do rely on the user initially starting them while reading email).

This is something on the roadmap for future consideration though so we'd love to know what kinds of things you were thinking of adding tot he mail body from your web service?

Thanks...pc

• Marked as answer by Jussi P Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Jussi - good question - you want to use an app to help people compose email. Right now this isn't possible (mail apps are focused on the reading email experience, and while they can then go on to create new mail using the Exchange Web Service api, they do rely on the user initially starting them while reading email).

This is something on the roadmap for future consideration though so we'd love to know what kinds of things you were thinking of adding tot he mail body from your web service?

Thanks...pc

• Marked as answer by Jussi P Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

I was looking to search and replace specific text strings in the HTML mail body with strings fetched through web service.

Did I understand correctly that currently using an app, user could click on an app button which would open a New Mail window that would be prepopulated with some content by the app? Or does it just open new empty New Mail window?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Hi Jussi - you can create a reply/reply all and set the text - does this do enough to meet your scenarios needs?

Cheers...pc

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:08 AM