none
EF 4.2 dbcontext templates in VS2011 developer preview RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks! I'm trying to use ef4.2 with VS2011 developer preview. The installation via nuget worked fine but I'm no able to find the dbcontext templates. I followed the instructions to find it online but it does not worked too. Any help will be very appreciated.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Glauco,

Have you installed June 2011 CTP on your computer? if the reply is yes, you should follow the readme here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26660

-----------------

If the SQL Server Tools for Data Framework CTP is uninstalled, existing functionality installed with Visual Studio 2010 (such as the Entity Designer) will no longer be available.

Solution

1. Locate the Visual Studio 2010 installation DVD and insert it into your computer. If you are using an Express SKU of Visual Studio and don’t have the installation media, you can obtain new media here

2. Launch an administrative-level command prompt and execute one of the following commands. These commands restore versions of the EF Tools files that were initially shipped with Visual Studio 2010.

With Ultimate, Pro, or other non-Express SKUs:
      [DVD drive letter]:\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

With C# Express, VB Express, and Visual Web Developer Express SKUs:
      [DVD drive letter]:\[VBExpress, VCSExpress, or VWDExpress]\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

3. To update the EF Tools with what shipped with Visual Studio Service Pack 1, there are two options:

• To run an update only for EF Tools, create a DVD with Visual Studio Service Pack 1 and execute the following command from an administrative-level command prompt. This update will only take a few minutes to complete.

msiexec /update [DVD drive letter]:\VS10sp1-KB983509.msp /package {14DD7530-CCD2-3798-B37D-3839ED6A441C}

• To avoid creating a DVD, reapply SP1. Launch the Uninstall/Change programs applet in the Control Panel, double-click on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1, and then choose the option to “Reapply Microsoft Visual Studio Service Pack 1.” This approach will take longer since all of SP1 will be applied, not just the EF Tools file updates.

----------------

I'll try to build the environment to repro your scenaro, thanks for understanding.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hi grgodoi,

To tell you truth, I haven't install Win8, so I couldn't repro your scenario. Have you installed EF4.1 update1 here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26825, please try to it, if it doesn't work, please feel free to let me know, thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 9, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Alan,

I'm not using windows 8. I'm using vs2011 developer preview running in win7 premium. I already tryed to install the package you suggest and, unfortunatelly, it also doesn't worked. I still not able to see the template. Any other tip?

Glauco.

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hi Glauco,

Have you installed June 2011 CTP on your computer? if the reply is yes, you should follow the readme here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26660

-----------------

If the SQL Server Tools for Data Framework CTP is uninstalled, existing functionality installed with Visual Studio 2010 (such as the Entity Designer) will no longer be available.

Solution

1. Locate the Visual Studio 2010 installation DVD and insert it into your computer. If you are using an Express SKU of Visual Studio and don’t have the installation media, you can obtain new media here

2. Launch an administrative-level command prompt and execute one of the following commands. These commands restore versions of the EF Tools files that were initially shipped with Visual Studio 2010.

With Ultimate, Pro, or other non-Express SKUs:
      [DVD drive letter]:\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

With C# Express, VB Express, and Visual Web Developer Express SKUs:
      [DVD drive letter]:\[VBExpress, VCSExpress, or VWDExpress]\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

3. To update the EF Tools with what shipped with Visual Studio Service Pack 1, there are two options:

• To run an update only for EF Tools, create a DVD with Visual Studio Service Pack 1 and execute the following command from an administrative-level command prompt. This update will only take a few minutes to complete.

msiexec /update [DVD drive letter]:\VS10sp1-KB983509.msp /package {14DD7530-CCD2-3798-B37D-3839ED6A441C}

• To avoid creating a DVD, reapply SP1. Launch the Uninstall/Change programs applet in the Control Panel, double-click on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1, and then choose the option to “Reapply Microsoft Visual Studio Service Pack 1.” This approach will take longer since all of SP1 will be applied, not just the EF Tools file updates.

----------------

I'll try to build the environment to repro your scenaro, thanks for understanding.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:13 PM