Can i use WCF to get json document from DocumentDB RRS feed

• Question

• User1720628292 posted

HI,

Iam newbie to DocumentDB  and also WCF.I have to get json data from documentdb and process through.net and store into sQL SERVER.For that can i use WCF?

or what are the ways to do this?

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:26 AM

Answers

• User765422875 posted

Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is a framework for building service-oriented applications. It's not a data access technology. You can create and stand up a WCF service that queries DocumentDB and then persists that data in SQL Server. But you need two different apis for that. One for DocumentDB (see below) and ADO.NET for SQL Server.

You need the DocumentDB .NET SDK to work with DocumentDB.

See "Database Examples".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/documentdb/documentdb-dotnet-samples

Github repo for the api with samples

https://github.com/Azure/azure-documentdb-dotnet

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:41 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Your question is too vague to answer  Can you explain in a bit more details how your systems works.

In my project we get lakhs of requests hits at a minute,All are unstructured data (ex sensor data) in document db.so i have to consume the data from document db and have to dynamically create table ,columns,datatypes based on the data what we consume and then we have to insert the data  to SQL server.(We need asynchronous programming for that)

The sensor data has to be in a meaningful format or the end points must be known otherwise there would be no way make sense of the data at a later time.  

Can you explain what asynchronous programming means to your application?  Why do you need to create dynamic tables and how are do you know the schema to build?

For that we need to create a single application that should do all the things, is it possible?

Yes...

I've built many data acquisition applications.  They all work basically the same way.  An established a data protocol must be in place otherwise it is impossible to extract the data and make sense of it.  Either the sensor device is smart enough to foramt and send messages over a network or the sensor is attached to another system which conditions and/or proxies the data.  

My Doubt is there are several ways to consume data from document db which is the best way  i have to use?

1.Console Application

2.Web Forms

3. MVC

4.Web API

These are frameworks and you can use any one of them get data.  I assume Web API and/or a Console Application.  But it really depends on the details of your project.

Friday, May 26, 2017 11:12 AM

All replies

• User765422875 posted

Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is a framework for building service-oriented applications. It's not a data access technology. You can create and stand up a WCF service that queries DocumentDB and then persists that data in SQL Server. But you need two different apis for that. One for DocumentDB (see below) and ADO.NET for SQL Server.

You need the DocumentDB .NET SDK to work with DocumentDB.

See "Database Examples".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/documentdb/documentdb-dotnet-samples

Github repo for the api with samples

https://github.com/Azure/azure-documentdb-dotnet

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:41 PM
  • User1720628292 posted

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

In my project we get lakhs of requests hits at a minute,All are unstructured data (ex sensor data) in document db.so i have to consume the data from document db and have to dynamically create table ,columns,datatypes based on the data what we consume and then we have to insert the data  to SQL server.(We need asynchronous programming for that)

For that we need to create a single application that should do all the things, is it possible?

My Doubt is there are several ways to consume data from document db which is the best way  i have to use?

1.Console Application

2.Web Forms

3. MVC

4.Web API

or any others but it should be based on .NET

Can anyone help me regarding this?

Friday, May 26, 2017 4:18 AM
  • User475983607 posted

Your question is too vague to answer  Can you explain in a bit more details how your systems works.

The sensor data has to be in a meaningful format or the end points must be known otherwise there would be no way make sense of the data at a later time.  

Can you explain what asynchronous programming means to your application?  Why do you need to create dynamic tables and how are do you know the schema to build?

Yes...

I've built many data acquisition applications.  They all work basically the same way.  An established a data protocol must be in place otherwise it is impossible to extract the data and make sense of it.  Either the sensor device is smart enough to foramt and send messages over a network or the sensor is attached to another system which conditions and/or proxies the data.  

1.Console Application

2.Web Forms

3. MVC

4.Web API

These are frameworks and you can use any one of them get data.  I assume Web API and/or a Console Application.  But it really depends on the details of your project.

Friday, May 26, 2017 11:12 AM