none
How to install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter server and it has .Net Framework 4.5 installed on it. However, I am trying to install .Net Framework 3.5 on it, which is required for other application.

I tried to install it using Adding Roles and Features Wizard, when selected option .Net Framework 3.5 Features, it says "Do you need to specify alternate source path? One or more installation selections are missing source files..." and due to which it fails to install.

I have also tried with .Net package downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21 but it didn't worked. Also tried to install it by mounting Win 2012 ISO on the server and by specifying SxS folder location but still it didn't worked.

Please let me know if you know how to install it.

Thanks & Regards,

Manoj Kateja

Saturday, January 7, 2017 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Manoj Kateja,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please have a look at here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3002547

• Turn on the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 feature before you install security update 2966827 or 2966828. For more information about how to turn Windows features on or off, go to the following Microsoft webpage: Turn Windows features on or off. You can also use Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) or any supported managed update system to add the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 feature. For more information about how to deploy the .NET Framework 3.5 by using DISM, go to the following Microsoft webpage: Deploy .NET Framework 3.5 by using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
    • If security update 2966827 or 2966828 has already been installed on the system, temporarily uninstall the update, enable .NET Framework 3.5, and then reinstall the security update.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Manoj Kateja Monday, January 9, 2017 10:37 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Manoj The cause of this problem is some windows update These are the steps to installl .net 3.5 Step 1: start an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) Step 2: type the following command: DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All Step 3: press enter (.Net frame work will now install) Step 4: mark my post as answer when it works :-) thanks
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Hi Davy,

I have tried it and got following output. Does it requires internet connection to install? Currently I do not have internet connection to this server as it is configured in private network only.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================66.6%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
     http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Users\Administrator>

Thanks.

Manoj

Saturday, January 7, 2017 8:13 AM
  • When you dont have internet you can install it with your windows os installation media by running the following command (replace d:\ with your drive) Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Thanks for help. I tried it but it still failed as follows.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\dotnetfx35(1).exe' /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================66.2%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more informat
    ion on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    PS C:\Users\Administrator

Thanks & Regards,

Manoj Kateja

Saturday, January 7, 2017 10:33 AM
  • Can u try it with the windows installation dvd insteat to setup file you uses?
    • Unmarked as answer by Manoj Kateja Monday, January 9, 2017 10:38 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 10:44 AM
  • Hi Manoj Kateja,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please have a look at here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3002547

• Turn on the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 feature before you install security update 2966827 or 2966828. For more information about how to turn Windows features on or off, go to the following Microsoft webpage: Turn Windows features on or off. You can also use Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) or any supported managed update system to add the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 feature. For more information about how to deploy the .NET Framework 3.5 by using DISM, go to the following Microsoft webpage: Deploy .NET Framework 3.5 by using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
    • If security update 2966827 or 2966828 has already been installed on the system, temporarily uninstall the update, enable .NET Framework 3.5, and then reinstall the security update.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Thanks Joyce and Davy.

Looks like due to security updates the installation of .Net Framework 3.5 is not allowed. I have successfully installed .Net framework 3.5 feature on another Win 2012 Server which is never updated with any security update.

Thanks & Regards,

Manoj Kateja

Monday, January 9, 2017 10:42 AM
  • You're welcome.
    Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Hi Joyce and others,

I've tried to install .NET 3.5 on our Windows 2012R2. There are no 29966827 or 2966828 updates on it (checked with cmd -> systeminfo and PS-> Get-HotFix). I get an error 0x800F0906 when I try to install "Install-WindowsFeature net-framework-core -Source g:\sources\sxs", G: is the right drive letter with ISO-Image. Our company runs WSUS, so online installation is not possible.

Any idea why .NET 3.5 cannot be installed?

Thanks & Regards,

GS
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Be sure you are using the correct install media. I had trouble installing dotnet 3.5 to a Windows 2012R2 machine - as I was using a Server 2012 NOT R2 ISO. 

Once I switched to R2 it installed perfectly. 

Monday, December 4, 2017 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for this post guys..

I was trying to install SSMS2012 on server 2016 which required NETFx

While trying to add .Net3.5 on server 2016 I had similar issues even without any of the security patches reference in this forum.

However, >Net3.5 feature installed following below command line:

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

• Proposed as answer by bikerben81 Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:37 AM
    Friday, January 19, 2018 9:45 PM
  • Thank you Sam-tech and others! We also needed to install .NET 3.5 on a Windows 2016 server. Fortunately, a virtual DVD drive contained the needed installation "disk." It appears as:

DVD Drive (Z:) SSS_X64REV_EN-US_DV9

It worked to substitute Z in your recommended command line text.

Active Practice LLC

Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:39 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this thread and have a 2012R2 server also.  I have checked and removed the security updates as previously stated by Joyce.  I then installed the 3.5 features under the Roles and Features.  The problem is when I go to IIS and try to set the application pool version, I only see 2.0 and 4.0.

I also ran the DISM command to confirm installation, it stated that 3.5 was installed 100% and yes,, I performed a reboot afterwards 

Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:57 PM
  • I was having same problem, I just mounted ISO file and install by running below command. C was my ISO mounted drive.

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:C:\sources\sxs

• Edited by Subash SR Sunday, May 27, 2018 5:20 AM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 6:37 PM
  • this have save me a bunch of time!!! really great thank you.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 3:54 AM
  • Not sure if this still an issue, but I was having the same problem all day today and finally got it to install.

I ended up installing .NET 3.5 alone without any of the features, reboot and add the features individually one by one.

Otherwise, when attempting to install it with the other features, it will fail.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:55 AM