none
Future plans for OracleData Provider RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Currently we are using Oracle 11. For basic scenarios using primitive types everything seems fine but where are it comes to Oracle specific types we are seeing lot if issues while using Oracle Data Provider (system.data.OracleClient). Few of them are

1. Support for Oracle XML Type
    2. Running in to issues while using OracleClobs ( ex: error : nPLS-00306: wrong number or types of arguments in call to... the same is working fine if I am using ODP.net with same parameters)

Now we are in a situation to decide between ODP.net or .net Oracle Client. From recent activities I see that there is lot of focus on Entity Framework,etc..

I would appreciate if anyone can share the future of Oracle Data Provider in coming .net releases.. this should help us decide up on some of things..

It would be great if some can point me to resources where in I can figure out about plans for future releases of .net

thanks,...

Hari
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:19 PM

All replies

• If you could indicate any other features you are looking for (please be specific) feel free to post and I will pass them on to the appropriate person at Microsoft). I know that Microsoft has been looking for suggestions recently but at this point I can't provide any more details.

I know that one of the major issues has been the lack of support for some Oracle data types so that's first on my list.

With respect to Oracle CLOB and Oracle complex data types have you taken a look at the below article?

Advanced Data Access with ADO.NET and Oracle

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:45 PM