My sites - how do I get a profile property - e.g. Manager - to appear in the My Profile page? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to change the properties that appear on users My Sites My Profile page to include the Manager property - and probably others

I went into the UP service App - manage properties and checked the box - Show in the profile properties section of the user's profile page

The other 2 check boxes in that section are already ticked - Am I doing the right thing? Do I have to wait for the inc profile import for this change to take effect?

Though there is tons of stuff out there on setting up My Sites there seems hardly any on OOB configuration once it's up and running

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Jonj

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:09 PM

Answers

• The answer is simple - the manager field has to have a value in it for it to appear - doesn't matter that you have promoted it to appear in Manage User Profiles page - it still won't appear unless it has a value in AD

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:50 AM

All replies

• Yes you did exactly the right the thing, I did this last week, for the exact same property, although I did have to wait a while for it to be included on the mysites my profile page.  Maybe you can speed things up by doing an iisreset or recycling the application pools.  But I just waited it out!

http://sharepointsurfer.wordpress.com/.

• Proposed as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for replying SharePointSurfer - but it's been 24hrs, I've done IISResets on the WFEs - still not appearing...
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:56 AM
  •  

Hi,

If the manager is a customer property, make sure you have mapped it into Active Directory.

In addition to this, there are 5 policies for each property, which are Only Me, My Manager, My Team, My Colleagues, Everyone. Make sure you select the appropriate one.

For example, a user might decide to display more information, such as a personal phone number, with members of his or her team than with other people in the organization. A user can use the View My Profile as seen by list to view their profile as it appears for members of the groups they assign their colleagues to. This helps a user determine whether they are comfortable with the information that is displayed.

For more information about my site and user profile property, check this link out:

http://digsharepoint.blogspot.com/2011/05/sharepoint-my-site-and-managing-user.html

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi Rock

Manager is not a custom property it's a default property mapped from AD that can't be edited by the users

what I want to do is surface that property in the users My Profile page in My sites

How do I do that? 

"I went into the UP service App - manage properties and checked the box - Show in the profile properties section of the user's profile page"

It's been days and the manager field is still not visible in My sites

The question is - why? 

Friday, February 24, 2012 12:03 PM
  • The answer is simple - the manager field has to have a value in it for it to appear - doesn't matter that you have promoted it to appear in Manage User Profiles page - it still won't appear unless it has a value in AD

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:50 AM