probelm in deployment of Pocket PC application developed in c# RRS feed

• Question

• i have made C# smart device application(pocket PC 2003) which i want to deploy on my mobile device HTC 85. Application is successfully installed on device but at the time of running it shows an error that ".net framework is not available". my problem is that how do i create an application so that it can also run on mobile without having .net framework. and yes i don't want to update or upgrade my handset.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hi poojs,

The .NET Compact Framework 1.0 was not introduced to the Windows Mobile devices until Windows Mobile 5.

If you are developing on Pocket PC 2003 (aka Windows Mobile 2003), you have two choices:

1. Deploy the Framework that your application uses to the device before you run your application, or
    2. Develop without the Framework

As far as I know, if you choose to develop without the Framework (I did this for a while) under Visual Studio, you will need to develop your application in C++.

Hope this helps,
    ~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, December 14, 2009 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can first decide on which device you want to target. Because on every OS there is .net framework installed by default. So If you develop the application based on that .net CF, you will not get that error message.

Or else you include all the dependencies(framework or other installation files required) in you CAB file itself, so that you cab file will extract and automatically install the framework.

Please let me know if your query is different from my understanding

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Hi poojs,

The .NET Compact Framework 1.0 was not introduced to the Windows Mobile devices until Windows Mobile 5.

If you are developing on Pocket PC 2003 (aka Windows Mobile 2003), you have two choices:

1. Deploy the Framework that your application uses to the device before you run your application, or

As far as I know, if you choose to develop without the Framework (I did this for a while) under Visual Studio, you will need to develop your application in C++.

Hope this helps,
    ~Joe

• Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, December 14, 2009 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

You can first decide on which device you want to target. Because on every OS there is .net framework installed by default. So If you develop the application based on that .net CF, you will not get that error message.

Or else you include all the dependencies(framework or other installation files required) in you CAB file itself, so that you cab file will extract and automatically install the framework.

Please let me know if your query is different from my understanding

Regards,
    Malleswar

i think in ur 2nd suggestion  u mean i should include "Microsoft.WindowsCE.forms.dll" n all these libraries into my cab project i guess these files are excluded by default. i will do that later as i dont have my HTC 85 device with me right now

and not getting ur 1st suggestion. i have already mentioned that my device is HTC 85.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Hi poojs,

Hope this helps,
    ~Joe

but how can i create c# application without the framework?

Friday, December 11, 2009 5:41 AM
  • but how can i create c# application without the framework? 

The short answer is you can not create a C# Application without the framework because it is a framework tool. Most people use Visual Studio to create C# Applications, but I think there are some people that have made it work with the Java Virtual Machine.

There has been some talk about creating a version of U3 to work with C#, but I don't think it is out yet.

Basically, if you don't want the framework, you have to use C++ or look download the older eMbedded VC tools from Microsoft. Here is some good information on it: #mce_temp_url# 

Friday, December 11, 2009 2:26 PM