none
3D motion capture RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there,

Next week I'll speak at a Kinect event at Microsoft France, about skeleton tracking in 3D space (with Xna and MS Kinect SDK). I posted a video of one of the demos (basic computing of joint orientation for model skinning) on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75t7-2ZubU.

The demo should be webcasted (in french), but if I receive enough feedback, I'll write an article about it in english (just tell me if you're interested).

For this demo, I focused on simplicity (I will explain the code on a 15 minutes live show), so I have a non orientation constrained bone system. That's why the 3D model I used has no hands or feet. In near future I'll post a demo with orientation constraints on elbows and knees, with a more human-looking 3D model.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:14 AM

All replies

• I am extremely interested in this. I've been working with skinning bones and Kinect, and have run into quite a few issues. Will you be able to at least release code? I'm also extremely interested in Orientation constrained bone systems. Could you possibly contact me via email and talk to me there?

Thanks!

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Looks awesome, love to see some code samples, an English version would be great :)
    Windows Live Developer MVP - www.soulsolutions.com.au - follow http://twitter.com/bingmapsdev for latest news.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:48 AM
  • I'm interesting too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:40 PM
  • A code sample would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying to work on something like this, but have run into many roadblocks.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:29 PM
  • The code sample is available here : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2011/06/28/fr-apr-232-s-midi-du-d-233-veloppement-sur-kinect-pour-windows-sdk-beta.aspx

(the part containing 3D skinning is under my name).

In a normal environment, you should set far less aggressive smoothing that what is in the code sample. we used these settings, because the stage was heavily lighted and spotlights seemed to emmit IR (and the Kinect devices went crazy without much smoothing).

I will write an article about the subject... if a native english speaker who understand french want to translate it (for better quality than what I can do), I would be happy to work with him.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:05 PM
  • The zip on the site seems to be missing some code. It seems that the SLN for the TubeBoy Sample is bound to a Source Control server. The projects included in the file seem to be missing the SkinnedModelProcessor and the SkinningData class, among other things.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:21 PM
  • There are a couple of missing files, but the interesting things are in TubeBoySkeletonHandlerBase.

You can get the missing files in the source code of Babylon toolkit : http://babylontoolkit.codeplex.com/

Hope it helps

Monday, July 4, 2011 9:19 AM
  • It helps a lot. I'm just wondering if I can get it to apply to a Human Skeleton. That's my project for the next while. Thanks for everything Simon!
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi Simon, thanks your demo is great!  Is there posibility to see somewhere your article already in english about 3D skinning? I'm very interested how you solve orientation constrained bone systems. In advance thank you!
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Oh...so sorry...I find the all files of Babylon toolkit...

I can run this awesome project!

Thank your sharing!Simon!

Thanks!!!

Hello Simon,

I'm very interesting about this project too.

I downloaded code sample, 

I meet three problems...

1. Cannot find content processor "SkinnedModelProcessor"

2. Lost reference files - "Babylon.Animations.Windows" and "Babylon.ContentPipelineExtensions"

3. I cannot import two project files - "Babylon.Animations.Windows" and "Babylon.ContentPipelineExtensions"

and I cannot find the missing file in the source code of Babylon toolkit :(

Could anyone give me some hint or help?

Thanks!

• Edited by skyicesnow Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:41 PM solved
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Pls, can someone help me!!!

1. Cannot find content processor "SkinnedModelProcessor"

2. Lost reference files - "Babylon.Animations.Windows" and "Babylon.ContentPipelineExtensions"

3. I cannot import two project files - "Babylon.Animations.Windows" and "Babylon.ContentPipelineExtensions"

and I cannot find the missing file in the source code of Babylon toolkit :(

Could anyone give me some hint or help?

Thanks!

Sunday, April 1, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hi Simon,

This is really cool project...

I've already downloaded it recently and try to play with it a little bit, and I was try to rotate the whole model 180 degree, where should I place my rotation matrix to do that?

when i put my rotation matrix in HipCenter worldTranform, it only rotate the body,not the hands,legs, or head... Can you please help me?

Thanks for your concern 

Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:02 PM