Aspect oriented programming RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use Aspect oriented programming in my .net applications(both web and windows).

Is there any AOP libraray available from microsoft. If there is no such library, which is the trsutworthy library from any third party.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:38 PM

Answers

• Have you looked at Spring.Net.  It provides that functionality along with other things.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:01 PM

All replies

• Have you looked at Spring.Net.  It provides that functionality along with other things.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:01 PM
  • Not sure it warrants a library, have you read this http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/03/AOP/

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:04 PM
  • As per my understanding,  in aspect oriented programming , we plugg-in the non functional requirements from outside the application.However,for this we need to recompile the package with a AOP enabling library to that package and a xml files inside the package where we can make necessary changes for AOP.Now when we compile the whole package, the AOP tool precompiles the whole package and embeds the AOP related code inside the code before been compiled by the .net compiler.Is my understanding about AOP correct.

Also i checked on web and found that loom.net is a favorite framework for this.It has runtime and static AOP tools.Some please let me know as which one is preferable in which condition.

Cheers

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:58 AM
  • To be honest I've not seen that implementation of AOP but yes it could work that way, although I wouldn't implement it like that. The AOP I've used, and the one in the link, you simply decorate your class/method(etc) with something that registers your interest in the target AOP and when your method/class is invoked or closes or etc then the AOP target kicks in and does what it has to do. If part of that is reading extra instructions from an XML file then fine. That way providing (and a big proviso) you decorate your code properly you won't have to recompile to alter the configuration - good news IMO.

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

That means you have used static aspect weaver because you have put the dependency in the code itself.

which tool/library have you used in your implementation,did you used spring .net.

If tool is adding the AOP related code inside our application code, it is ok, otherwise if you are adding AOP related code(not AOP code but code about which AOP library is going to get invoked at that event in the application) there is no point usng AOP as it is meant for pluggin in the AOP from outside making any changes to the application.

I need comments on this from anybody who has some experience in this area.

Cheers

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Thanks pkr2000 for your reply.

Can somebody please give me some idea about my AOP runtime weaver query.

I am sure somebody would have done it.

regards

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:28 AM