Printing in Kiosk Mode (Assigned Access) RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a LOB app that will run in kiosk mode (assigned access), i have two critical requirements

• Allow the user to print from my app in kiosk Mode.
      At the moment, kiosk mode disable the charm bar, i am not sure how to do this in kiosk mode.
    • Allow the printing to be done automatically without asking user to select printer etc, because this will be a LOB app and will run on kiosk machines, so i want whenever user click an operations, their respective ticket number prints from the printer.

Please share the possibilities of these two requirements at your earliest.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

MUhammad Umer

Muhammad Umer

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Muhammad,

I haven't played much with Assigned Access, but I'd try triggering printing programmatically (see How to print using an in-app print button ) to get past the lack of a charms bar.

I suspect the user would still need to select a printer. In the typical (non-kiosk) case this is desirable and there isn't any way to force a printer choice from within the app. I don't see a way to force this from the Assigned Access system itself. It may be more likely using Windows 8 Embedded.

I'll take a look at this in more detail and get back to you.

You may also want to check in the Windows 8.1 IT Pro forums where they will be more familiar with Assigned Access.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Hi, Muhamad,

I found a same thread you create in Technet forum, As I thought it would be better to ask at MSDN forum, I delete it, now please pay more attention about this thread here.

Thanks for your understanding, hope this problem resolved soon!

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:04 PM
  • I have confirmed that printing is not supported in Assigned Access in Windows 8.1. This is a known limitation. Sorry.
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:03 PM