Windows Developer Preview Video Driver Problems - Intel GMA 900

Question

• I just upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to The Developer Preview of Windows 8, and I had to re-install all of my drivers. They all are working fine except for my VGA Driver. I have an ASUS EEEPC 900HD that originally used Windows XP Home Edition. From there, I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium, to Windows 7 Pro using an anytime upgrade card, then to Windows 8. The driver installation never worked well in Windows 7. It would tell me "Operating System not supported". Then it would ask me if I wanted to run the setup using recommended settings, then it would work after I hit yes. Windows 8 gives me the same error, when I hit "Recommended settings", It runs, but there is an error during installation. Is there anyone with any information that could possibly be helpful, from a different procedure, to installing a different driver for the same piece of hardware. (the Intel GMA 900)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:10 PM

Answers

• Intel GMA 900

Intel GMA 900 (910/915) is no longer supported by Intel:
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030907.htm

Does Intel provide WDDM graphics drivers for older graphics controllers?
    WDDM graphics drivers are not available due to hardware limitations in the older Intel® graphics controllers. The overall hardware architecture and design of these older graphics controllers were finalized before the Microsoft release of details and specifications on WDDM drivers and running the Aero user interface. Some hardware limitations limit graphics performance and memory capabilities when attempting to run a WDDM driver on Windows 7 operating system with these older graphics controllers.

Intel addressed these hardware limitations in the integrated graphics controllers of the desktop and mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset families. WDDM graphics drivers are available beginning with the Intel 945 Express Chipset families.

Only XPDM drivers are available for the following older Intel® graphics controllers:

• Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset family
    • Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset family
    • Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82830M Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode (sounds like you already tried). 

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

From the WDP main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:15 PM
  • @ Brendan 1243

Is it a yellow exclamation mark next to your video controller in device manager?? if yes check this URL below. But instead of Intel GMS/GML 915 select your chipset from the list. Maybe this might help you.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/a100d653-18ea-4c89-869b-713eafd32a31?prof=required

Its worth giving it a try than being told you cant do it at all.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:16 PM

All replies

• When you offer to evaluate experimental software, there is always a method to report your experiences.  I'm sure that posting to these forums isn't the method.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Hi Brendan1243,

It's off topic in windows forms forum, I'd suggest to post it on Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions  forum to get better help.

Best wishes,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 10, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Intel GMA 900

Intel GMA 900 (910/915) is no longer supported by Intel:
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030907.htm

Does Intel provide WDDM graphics drivers for older graphics controllers?
    WDDM graphics drivers are not available due to hardware limitations in the older Intel® graphics controllers. The overall hardware architecture and design of these older graphics controllers were finalized before the Microsoft release of details and specifications on WDDM drivers and running the Aero user interface. Some hardware limitations limit graphics performance and memory capabilities when attempting to run a WDDM driver on Windows 7 operating system with these older graphics controllers.

Intel addressed these hardware limitations in the integrated graphics controllers of the desktop and mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset families. WDDM graphics drivers are available beginning with the Intel 945 Express Chipset families.

Only XPDM drivers are available for the following older Intel® graphics controllers:

• Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset family
    • Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset family
    • Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82830M Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode (sounds like you already tried). 

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

From the WDP main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:15 PM
  • @ Brendan 1243

Is it a yellow exclamation mark next to your video controller in device manager?? if yes check this URL below. But instead of Intel GMS/GML 915 select your chipset from the list. Maybe this might help you.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/a100d653-18ea-4c89-869b-713eafd32a31?prof=required

Its worth giving it a try than being told you cant do it at all.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:16 PM