none
Missing "Add as Link" option...

Question

• I realize that for the past almost 2 decades now that every time Microsoft tries to improve something they just wind up making it worse - mostly because they import 3rd world programmers who work for peanuts, have decent technical skills yet no abstract thinking skills whatsoever and all while prentending America has no qualified programmers, but could some one PLEASE tell me why in heavens name did Microsoft see fit to remove the "Add as Link" option from the 'Add Existing Item' file dialog? Really? Why not just remove the ability to write code at all? Microsoft keeps shooting itself in the foot with these realy stupid decisions lately and the public is pretty much aware that MS Office is the only thing keeping Microsoft afloat right now because the Windows phone and Surface tablet certainly didn't turn out to be winners. So why, oh why, does Microsft keep removing things that customers love and rely on while trying to push useless new options down our throats? Microsoft is not Apple.  It never will be Apple.  Stop trying to innovate new stuff because you suck at it.  Microsoft is, always has been, and always will be a company for hackers and hobbyists.  Stick with that.  Put my 'Add as Link' option back in!.!.!
    Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• I use C++ winforms as C++ is the fastest way to draw graphics.

MS saw fit to stop having this as an option in new projects.

While my code works VS has great trouble linking the winform menus to code.

I also had great trouble getting the form designer to work, it kept crashing out.

I still long for the days of assembly language where I wrote my own assemblers and had full control over what the compiler does.

n.Wright

Monday, January 18, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Hi GypsyPrince2k,

As far as I know. "Add as Link" has been removed since VS2012. If you want to use “Add as link” function, you may need to use VS2010.

For this case, I have submit a feature request to the VS team and you can vote it in the following link.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/11498559-add-as-link-option-is-missing-since-vs2012

In addition, If you have any other good suggestions, you could submit a feature request.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards.

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:45 AM
  • The "Add as Link" was available in in Visual Studio 2013. I L-O-V-E-D the ability to use it in Visual Basic because it allowed me to reuse my same modules and classes over and over again in new applications without having to put a copy of them in each new application's project folder. I merely need to link to one set of files in a central location, and if I updated any class or module, the update was automatically reflected in all applications, leaving them only to require being recompiled.

I can still link files to a project the same way but by hacking the *.vbproj project file and manually adding the following lines:

<Compile Include="Visual Studio 2015\Projects\My Shared Classes\[clsClassName.vb]">
          <Link>[cls</Compile>

<Compile Include="Visual Studio 2015\Projects\My Shared Modules\[modModuleName.vb]">
          <Link>[modModuleName.vb]</Link>
        </Compile>

While adding links to files is still possible by adding these lines, I really, really don't appreciate Microsoft forcing me into a position of having to do so.  As of late, Microsoft has been leading the direction in producing bloatware and driving customers away.  I am beginning to think also, that perhaps it is time for me to jump ship and move away from Microsoft products altogether.  I have been spending the last several months learning Object Pascal and have discovered that all of my VB applications can easily be converted to OP - where not only is the resulting executable much smaller and faster native code, but is cross-platform as well.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Hi GypsyPrince2k,

Thanks so much for sharing here.

Your reply is so helpful to who want to use the "Add as Link " function in VS2013 and IN VS2015.

Thanks again for sharing workaround here

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:29 AM
  • I just noticed the other day that with VS 2015 update 3 the "Add as Link" option has returned.

I just want to say "THANK YOU!" to Microsoft for doing this.  This issue, along with some others I have noticed in forums, demonstrates to me that while continuing to progress into the future, Microsoft is moving back to also continuing to accomidate us old farts who can't deals with change.

We understand the need for Microsoft to dedicate the majority of its resources to new technologies, but it is also nice to see that MS still has a heart enough to remember and oblige those of us whom have been put out to pasture and have only our programming hobbies left to look forward to in life.

Microsoft did seem to stray away for the past decade or so, and appeared to be only concerned with their bottom line and beating the competition to the next new thing, while seemingly disregarding those of us from the old days who have remained loyal.  However, slowly but surely, Microsoft appears to be opening its hearts to use again and compromising with us.

Again, thank you VERY - VERY much to Microsoft - for putting this little but extremely - extremely helpful feature back in. I love you, Microsoft!.!.!

Monday, August 01, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Apparently not for a .NET Core project, where I really could use it.
    Sunday, December 04, 2016 9:46 PM