none
DLLs Not Copying In Debug Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few DLLs that I have added to my project. I placed directly into the Bin\Release directory and set Copy Local and Specific Version to true. Now if I move to debug mode, it doesn't copy those DLLs into the debug folder, so it won't compile. If these are just 3rd party DLLs, and not being built by my program, is it normal practice to throw these into the Release and Debug folders every time?
    Monday, August 29, 2011 9:52 PM

Answers

• Keep in in a different folder outside of debug / release. Add reference to the dlls from this folder and it will work for both debug / release mode.
    • Proposed as answer by Dig-Boy Monday, August 29, 2011 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kee PoppyModerator Monday, September 5, 2011 2:19 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:08 PM

All replies

• Keep in in a different folder outside of debug / release. Add reference to the dlls from this folder and it will work for both debug / release mode.
    • Proposed as answer by Dig-Boy Monday, August 29, 2011 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kee PoppyModerator Monday, September 5, 2011 2:19 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Exactly!  You have to do more than just manually place the dlls into the bin folder.  The project itself needs to be aware of the dll and have it added as one of its references (Project Properties > References tab > Add button)
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Be aware that if the DLL's are your own project, this is managed by the Configuration Manager you can find it inside the button Build
    Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:14 AM