Migration path from sql 2000 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Which is best Migration Approach from below paths? 

1)SQL server 2000>>SQL Server 2005 SP4 >> SQL server 2012

2)SQL server 2000>>SQL Server 2008 R2 >> SQL server 2012

Please list few advantages and Disadvantages for each of the path.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Both will work and in result there won't be any difference and are not Advantages/disadvantages between them.

Note: You have to apply SP4 to your SQL Server 2000 before you can start Migration, see Version and Edition Upgrades

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:44 AM
  • There is no difference between these. It wholy depends on which intermediate version is available for you in your environment to do the upgrade.

I have successfully done upgrades in both the paths and didnt find any advantages or disadvantages.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:23 AM

Best is open set and what could be best for our environment would not be best for your so instead of asking best lets focus on approach. As you already know direct upgrade to 2012 is not allowed so you have to stop at between. This is only applicable to database migration but for jobs  and logins you can directly script them out and run on 2012 to create them.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by Lakshman MS Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Both will work and in result there won't be any difference and are not Advantages/disadvantages between them.

Note: You have to apply SP4 to your SQL Server 2000 before you can start Migration, see Version and Edition Upgrades

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:44 AM
  • There is no difference between these. It wholy depends on which intermediate version is available for you in your environment to do the upgrade.

I have successfully done upgrades in both the paths and didnt find any advantages or disadvantages.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:23 AM

Best is open set and what could be best for our environment would not be best for your so instead of asking best lets focus on approach. As you already know direct upgrade to 2012 is not allowed so you have to stop at between. This is only applicable to database migration but for jobs  and logins you can directly script them out and run on 2012 to create them.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by Lakshman MS Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:46 AM