Windows Developer Preview Default Apps in the start screen not working properly.

Question

• Ok, First of all,I would like to thank you in advance.I have been using Windows developer preview for about a month , i like how productive the app called "Flash cards" is,but,when i logged in yesterday,the app did not actually start,yet,it opened the "Store" app which is currently unavailable as it says.There is also an exclamation mark on corner of it's tab.I also wanted to use the "Refresh" option but i am afraid that it will delete my programs as well (Web browsers,mediaplayers,and other stuff except the one which came with windows).so, can any tell me a solution to this problem.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hello Rizwan 9180,

This thread was created in the Samsung PC Forums; the Microsoft moderation team is moving your thread to the Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions forum.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Thank you for replying,and sorry for my mistake of posting it in the wrong place, anyways,thanks for your kind reply.
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:19 PM
  • For further clarification, i am uploading a picture of the start screen, i have also highlighted the tile ,Does any one else also has this same problem?

• Edited by Rizwan 9180 Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:37 PM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Hi Rizwan,

a Refresh is usually recommended in the case of non-functional tiles, however, you try sfc /scannow by running Command Prompt as an Administrator. It helped some others in similar situations, hope it does so in your case.

Irfan
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Hi Rizwan,

a Refresh is usually recommended in the case of non-functional tiles, however, you try sfc /scannow by running Command Prompt as an Administrator. It helped some others in similar situations, hope it does so in your case.

Irfan
    I hope so will definitely try it

One more thing.... will i need to insert the installation dvd for this one?
    • Edited by Rizwan 9180 Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:15 PM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:13 PM
  •  

One more thing....will i need to insert the installation dvd for this one?
    Definitely not. You may also read similar issues(where one or more tiles are not working) on this forum, Search on the given Bar above this page. My WordHunt is not working, wanted to reinstall it to make it work, a sfc /scannow didn't work, can't find much on Forums except a Refresh/Reset, which I don't want to do with so many apps already installed on WDP. Just waiting for the Beta.

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Monday, December 26, 2011 2:30 AM to complete
    Monday, December 26, 2011 1:30 AM
  • feeling really bad for you.... word hunt is a great time killer app, but ,as in my  case....upon clicking the ''FLASH CARDS'' TILE , IT DOES OPEN UP , but not itself..it opens up the store app. pretty confusing right?

one more thing, will it re-install all my accidentally deleted (default)apps ?

• Edited by Rizwan 9180 Monday, December 26, 2011 4:47 AM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 3:54 AM
  • It did'nt work!! look
    Monday, December 26, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Yes Rizwan, I can see that, so sfc /scannow didn't work. Refresh, then Reset, and if that doesn't work either, a fresh burn or perhaps a new download + burn would be the answer, unless someone gives you a better advice.
    My WordHunt also opens up to the Apps store, rest of the WDP is running perfectly, better and faster than my Windows7 Ultimate running in a dual boot. WordHunt worked well in my other WDPx32 bit installed on the same machine, then I decided to switch over to WDPx64 and just this one App is not functioning. I uninstalled it in the hope that I may get a Install option in place of the Uninstall button, I didn't get it.

Irfan
    Monday, December 26, 2011 10:08 AM
  • i like how productive the app called "Flash cards" is,but,when i logged in yesterday,the app did not actually start,yet,it opened the "Store" app which is currently unavailable as it says.There is also an exclamation mark on corner of it's tab.

Does it change anything if you switch your Display Orientation from Portrait to Landscape?   Alternatively move it to a different monitor?   FWIW I seem to have once cured a problem with Sudoku crashing simply by reshowing it on my larger monitor.   After that it worked normally on both screens.

I also wanted to use the "Refresh" option but i am afraid that it will delete my programs as well (Web browsers,mediaplayers,and other stuff except the one which came with windows).so, can any tell me a solution to this problem.

I'm not clear what all Refresh does.   FWIW I would try  shutdown.exe  /s  /full   since I found out recently that that apparently causes the  TileCache*  files to be rewritten which at least allows us to inspect them to see if what is showing makes sense.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 26, 2011 2:45 PM
  • hey.........to help you all guys solve my problem,, i had also deleted a pic from the app's Folder in C:\program files\Applications because it was not appropriate . do you think it would be causing the problem? but it worked for a  week after i modified it!
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Hello Rizwan 9180,

A refresh of the PC does remove 3rd party applications but does reinstall any Metro Style application.
    User accounts (Local Accounts, Connected Accounts - Windows Live ID accounts), user data, personalization settings are preserved.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Flash Card Metro app is working as expected.

Thanks,

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:13 PM