Why there are no templates in Visual Studio 11?

Question

• Hello,

Today I downloaded Windows 8 (en_windows_developer_preview_with_developer_tools_and_apps_x64_dvd_735220.iso) from MSDN Subscriber downloads. I successfully installed and ran Windows8 on VMWare. When I run Visual Studio Express which comes along with Windows I can't see any templates. I wanted to develop some metro style apps but there are no templates at all in Visual Studio. Why?

Haris
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• I can see both

I did one registry change though

I changed value of RPEnabled in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer from 1 to 0 in order to get the normal Start menu

Could this be the reason?

After few minutes...

Yes, it was causing the issue I reverted the registry change and I can see the templates.

Thanks a lot for the hint

Haris

• Marked as answer by haris hasan Friday, December 16, 2011 6:47 AM
    • Edited by haris hasan Friday, December 16, 2011 6:48 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Hi Haris,

Yes, if you set RPEnabled = 0, then you will not see the Metro style application templates in Visual Studio.  When Metro is disabled, there isn't a good way to compile and test your applications because the packaging, deployment, and debugging all require the infrastructure that allows Metro style applications to run.

Sincerely,

Dan

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Haris,

if you open a developer command prompt (elevated) and run the command line

vswinexpress /installvstemplates

then restart Visual Studio Express

Do you see the project templates?

much appreciated,

mike

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:30 PM
  • No, still no templates

I have even downloaded and installed VS 11 developer preview on windows 8. It has templates but none for metro style apps. How can I manually add them in VS11?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Haris

• Edited by haris hasan Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:48 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Hi Haris,

could you check the directory -

c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows Metro Style\1033

Do you have zip files within that directory?

also are the zip files expanded in

c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplatesCache\CSharp\Windows Metro Style\1033?

So were there any other changes made after installing the developer preview with tools e.g. registry changes, other changes?  I have used the iso from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

much appreciated,

mike

Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I can see both

I did one registry change though

I changed value of RPEnabled in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer from 1 to 0 in order to get the normal Start menu

Could this be the reason?

After few minutes...

Yes, it was causing the issue I reverted the registry change and I can see the templates.

Thanks a lot for the hint

Haris

• Marked as answer by haris hasan Friday, December 16, 2011 6:47 AM
    • Edited by haris hasan Friday, December 16, 2011 6:48 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Hi Haris,

Yes, if you set RPEnabled = 0, then you will not see the Metro style application templates in Visual Studio.  When Metro is disabled, there isn't a good way to compile and test your applications because the packaging, deployment, and debugging all require the infrastructure that allows Metro style applications to run.

Sincerely,

Dan

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:30 PM