Visual Studio MSDN renewal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just wondering if someone can advise me regarding a product that I've been looking at with 79D-00277 as it's SKU?

It states on the packaging "Visual Studio - Professional 2012 with MSDN" and then at the bottom of the pack it says "Subscription Renewal"

We're completely confused!

Is this:

1) only an MSDN subscription renewal for users who already have Visual Studio 2012?

2) the full version of Visual Studio Professional 2012 with MSDN?

3) the full version of Visual Studio Professional 2012 with an MSDN subscription renewal that can only be activated by existing MSDN users?

Sorry to sound dumb but am finding the whole thing very, very confusing!

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Looks like the thing you found is this:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Microsoft-Visual-Studio-Professional-2012-with-MSDN-subscription-renewal/2856419.aspx

Ok now, lets look at a second link :)  
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy/buy.aspx

Check the 2nd column, and you'll see Visual Studio Professional 2012 with MSDN and you'll see that the renewal price is $799.  If you already have a Visual Studio Professional 2012 with MSDN Subscription, you can use the thing you have to renew it for another year at a discount price.  It sounds like you bought the renewal and I'm not sure if you already have an active subscription. 

Does this help?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Friday, July 26, 2013 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hi Mike,

That's excellent and many thanks for your help... much appreciated!

Kind regards

Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:35 PM
  • The link is now out-of-date.  Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to determine MSDN retail renewal pricing?

Two possibilities that I see are:

(1) Microsoft's MSDN website user experience designers do not recognize the problem

(2) This was a deliberate choice

If either of the above explanations is correct, it is (yet again) a sign of Microsoft not being a good citizen or being insufficiently competent.  If so, this is (yet again) a very serious problem for an organization with such influence and cash on hand.

Dan Nissenbaum

Saturday, July 19, 2014 4:36 PM
  • I hear your frustration Dan.  Regarding these links in particular, with an additional click, both of those links will take you to the most current information David.  Sorry for any inconvenience.  

The CDW page has a link to the updated Visual Studio 2013 version of the MSDN Subscription, and the msdn buy page has a link to the current pricing page for MSDN Subscriptions, now hosted over at visualstudio.com.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Edited by Mike Kinsman Friday, August 1, 2014 8:24 PM David who?
    Monday, July 21, 2014 6:49 PM
  • I don't see where a "David" posted but I agreed with "Dan".  I dared to make that one additional click, which you suggested tongue-in-cheek, and it still didn't take me to what I needed which is the renewal price that isn't shown on that page.  If I click the Renew or upgrade an existing subscription  link, then the Renew Now button it throws an error stating that it can't find an account to renew.  This makes sense, because I'm logged in to an account with an active subscription, but how then do I find out the renewal price?  My current one was paid for by my company, when I leave I'll have to buy my own and want to know what the ongoing cost will be for me.

Mike, there's nothing better than Visual Studio, C#, and .NET in my opinion.  We're your fan boys, treat us with some respect.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:48 PM
  • Sorry I got the wrong name!  Very surprised I made that mistake.  Someone was probably calling out to my coworker in the office as I typed and typed his name instead of Dan's.  Correcting that right now.

Christopher, if you review my post history you'll find both tongue in cheek responses and any lack of respect missing completely.   I sincerely mean this as well: it's nice to have the folks that like our products and technologies joining the forums! It's great to have you.

regarding the renewal issue, without knowing your specific details on which subscription you have (I can't get your personal subscription info from the forums) I can't be sure why you're getting that error from the renewal button.  So I'm only guessing that your subscription is a VL subscription, since it was purchased by your company.  If so, the renewal error you're getting is correctly telling you that it can't find a subscription that it can renew, since VL subscriptions are renewed through VL agreements, and not with a credit card. (note that the button is in the 'retail' section of that page). 

Regardless, to get you the help you need, and have someone look at your specific situation and discuss your options, I urge you contact MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service.  They'll be able to look up your account, see what the status is, and give you your options.  You can reach them here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx and note that they do offer chat services so you don't have to wait on the phone or wait for an email.   I'm sure they'll ask you for your Subscriber ID, which you can find on the My Account page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/manage

I hope you come back here at let us know what they say.

Thanks!
    Mike

Friday, August 1, 2014 8:24 PM