none
How drive letter assigned while booting WINPE? RRS feed

• Question

• In WinPE, using Diskpart, I created a primary partition for 6GB in Harddisk(Disk type = GPT) and and assigned drive letter as "r".

After rebooting, the drive letter get changed.

Where(which table) drive letter will stored? How this drive letter get changed? Need to know the mechanism of drive letter assignment to the partition.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:08 PM

All replies

• Reboot to WinPE or Windows OS? If WinPE, WinPE's boot.wim gets loaded as a RAM disk and then all settings are lost a power cycle. When WinPE boots again, it will assign drive letters to the available drives.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, April 13, 2018 11:47 PM
  • WinPE runs in a RAM drive - even if drive letters are store somewhere, the information will get lost as soon as you reboot.

The way how Windows assigns drive letters seems that it initially enumerates the first partition of each drives and assings letters C:, D:, ... to them, in a next stop it takes the second partition of each drive and so on. Note: This is my theory, I have no prove for that.

But: If you know the partitions in your system you can use diskpart's REMOVE and ASSIGN commands to assign the letters the way you want.

SELECT DISK 0
    SELECT PARTITION 1
    REMOVE
    ASSIGN LETTER=...

or

SELECT VOLUME C:
    REMOVE
    assign LETTER=...

Monday, April 16, 2018 7:20 AM