How to fix "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider"? RRS feed

• Question

• User-595193528 posted

Hi All,

I'm using .Net with MS Access database and I try to add new database connection manually using Server explorer in .Net IDE.

When I do this I'm getting the following error: "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Cannot start your application. The work group file is missing or opened exclusively by another user".

Please help me doing this...

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:23 AM

Answers

• User1759999623 posted

It sounds like that the Access database you're trying to use is already open somewhere else.  Verify that the Access database is closed before trying to open it in the Server Explorer.  Additionally, make sure that it is closed in the Server Explorer before trying to use it within your application.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:28 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

It sounds like that the Access database you're trying to use is already open somewhere else.  Verify that the Access database is closed before trying to open it in the Server Explorer.  Additionally, make sure that it is closed in the Server Explorer before trying to use it within your application.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:28 AM
  • User-1995371670 posted

What is the connection string you have provided? Check it thoroughly before trying to test.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:15 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Hello sanarojesureaj:)

Try to create a Windows Application and drag and drop an OleDbConnection onto the WinForm,according to the wizard,you should get a correct conn str,copy and paste it into your app.config or web.config。

Also you can have a try on this:

1)For Access2007+:http://www.connectionstrings.com/access-2007

2)For Access2003-:http://www.connectionstrings.com/access

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:13 PM