none
.NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have some applications running on windows XP machine.By these applications I had .NET framework 1.1 and Framework 2 installed automatically on my computer. Some times I am getting "CSC.exe common language run time debugging services" error.

Can some body clarify whether I need to uninstall .NET frame work1.1? Will all these application work using .NET framework2.0

Thanks in advance

Regards,

JP

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:16 AM

Answers

• As you may already know, .NET frameworks v1.1 and v2.0 are separate full versions. the applications that originally required 1.1 *should* work with 2.0, but that's not an absolute guarantee.

I stand corrected about 1.1 apps using 2.0 successfully, per Ferry. Ignore the above. I also agree that as the two are completely separate, it's highly unlikely that having two frameworks installed is at the root of your problem.

BTW, how do you know the error messages are coming from v1.1?

Can you identify the application that is throwing the error?

You also might consider checking the integrity of your frameworks:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:43 AM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Hi JP,

I don't think that the error caused by having both framework installed in the same machine, I'm sure it's caused by something else.

.NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 were not built on the same base code, so you must have both of them. (assuming you have application which requires .NET 1.1 to run and also application which requires .NET 2.0 to run)

Best regards,
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Hi JP,

I agree with Pvdg42 and Ferry.

Here are some supplement on .NET 1.1 and 2.0.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 2.0 uses CLR version 2.0 while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1.

Thus, to make your .NET application run smooth, it is suggested to install the related .NET Framework to support your application.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:59 AM

All replies

• As you may already know, .NET frameworks v1.1 and v2.0 are separate full versions. the applications that originally required 1.1 *should* work with 2.0, but that's not an absolute guarantee.

I stand corrected about 1.1 apps using 2.0 successfully, per Ferry. Ignore the above. I also agree that as the two are completely separate, it's highly unlikely that having two frameworks installed is at the root of your problem.

BTW, how do you know the error messages are coming from v1.1?

Can you identify the application that is throwing the error?

You also might consider checking the integrity of your frameworks:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:24 PM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Hi JP,

I don't think that the error caused by having both framework installed in the same machine, I'm sure it's caused by something else.

.NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 were not built on the same base code, so you must have both of them. (assuming you have application which requires .NET 1.1 to run and also application which requires .NET 2.0 to run)

Best regards,

Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:39 PM
  • the applications that originally required 1.1 *should* work with 2.0

I'm not sure the quoted information is correct. As I understand, it's not.

Application targeted to .NET 1.1 requires .NET 1.1 to run

Application targeted to .NET 2.0 requires .NET 2.0 to run

Best regards,

Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Hi JP,

I agree with Pvdg42 and Ferry.

Here are some supplement on .NET 1.1 and 2.0.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 2.0 uses CLR version 2.0 while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1.

Thus, to make your .NET application run smooth, it is suggested to install the related .NET Framework to support your application.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:59 AM