Hardware Design And Development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am interested in learning how to make hardware, embed software in it and make it perform the actions i want. Buy after countless researches im unable to find the right resource or guide to start this hobby. Can anyone guide me so that i could be able to learn how chips are attached to buses and on that greenish board and then how software is embedded in it to make it perform actions? I would like to go beginner to advanced in this. i have knowledge of c, c++, Vb.net and C#.net. I would appreciate detailed help in this topic. Thankyou

Regards

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you have a specific project or platform in mind? Do you want to start with a physical robot or with simulation?

To get started, simulation can be a great way to start experimenting. You may want to start with the Visual Programming Language (VPL) to get a feel of how things work, before moving on to CCR/DSS and C# development of your own services.

You should also look at some of the samples and tutorials provided in the Microsoft Robotics SDK, covering LEGO NXT, iRobot Create, Pioneer and others.

Yann

• Marked as answer by CoOlDud3 Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:41 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• I hope i'm on the right forum.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have a specific project or platform in mind? Do you want to start with a physical robot or with simulation?

To get started, simulation can be a great way to start experimenting. You may want to start with the Visual Programming Language (VPL) to get a feel of how things work, before moving on to CCR/DSS and C# development of your own services.

You should also look at some of the samples and tutorials provided in the Microsoft Robotics SDK, covering LEGO NXT, iRobot Create, Pioneer and others.

Yann

• Marked as answer by CoOlDud3 Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:41 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:48 PM
  • I'd certainly advocate for starting with some simple hardware for which RDS provides out-of-the-box support. The Lego NXT kit is great (and relatively inexpensive), but if you've got a bigger budget, the Parallax EDDIE is a fantastic platform as well. Either of these will allow you to start experimenting and writing your own code right away (the RDS simulation environment is great, but I'm a fan of starting out with a real robot if you possibly can--it's much more fun!).

There's also a book about RDS available which is considered the "bible": http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0470141077.html

Let us know about your progress! Good luck!

Art

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:11 PM
  • I'd highly recommend you start with an Arduino.  There's a great kit that includes everything you need to get started:

http://www.makershed.com/Getting_Started_with_Arduino_Kit_V3_0_p/msgsa.htm

- jcb

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Or the Netduino, if you want to stick with .Net/C# ;-)

http://www.makershed.com/Getting_Started_with_Netduino_Kit_p/msgsn.htm

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi Ykri, I have installed Robotics Developer Studio From Microsoft. Where are the tutorials? I can't find them in my installation folder.

Regards,

Rayyan Tahir

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:43 PM
  • I'll definitely let you know =). But first i want to try simulation to see how good can i be in this. =)
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Hi Rayyan,

Tutorials can be found in the RDS User Guide.

Once you've installed Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio, open up the "Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\Documentation" folder on your PC. The Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4 folder is located under C:\Users\<yourprofile> or can be access through the Start menu ("Robotics Developer Studio").

Alternatively, you'll also find them online: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb905450

Yann

Monday, June 25, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Thank you friend =)
    Monday, June 25, 2012 4:45 PM