P3V2 beta RRS feed

• Question

• So what's up with this, that just showed up this morning.

Says "faster cpu and SSD", for the same price (so far).

Any other information?

Thanks,

Josh

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:30 PM

Answers

• Azure App Service Premium V2 is now in preview.

If you look at  announcement it says you get better performance for same price while in preview. Once it go GA, pricing will change and this won't be case anymore.

Mustafa Toroman, Azure MVP

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:12 AM

All replies

• There was announcement about this last month:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-app-service-premium-v2-in-public-preview/

Monday, August 28, 2017 7:15 PM
  • Indeed, that is an announcement.

It doesn't actually say anything, but it is there.

And now a month later, here they are available, and I still don't really know what it means.

Well, we'll have to run our benchmarks on them again anyway I suppose.

Thanks,

Josh

Monday, August 28, 2017 10:53 PM
  • Azure App Service Premium V2 is now in preview.

If you look at  announcement it says you get better performance for same price while in preview. Once it go GA, pricing will change and this won't be case anymore.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:12 AM
  • I'll accept that as answer, but really, "better" is not very informative.  

Reading between the lines, "faster CPU" tends to be very small incremental speeds these days, the "SSD" is more promising if it means the old ones did NOT use SSDs, but I'm not aware that we, at least, do any disk IO on our app servers anyway.

And I seemed to find P3 a little faster than S3 even on the old configs, although I never saw any documentation promising or quantifying that, at least the P3 would open new connections much more aggressively.

And what does it even mean, after preview the price goes up?  Will the old P3 still be available at the old price?

Josh

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 4:56 PM
  • I agree that CPU speed doesn't make much difference. And that P3 didn't perform so much better then S3. Only difference is seen if scaling is needed. Also, with web apps, storage speed isn't so important parametar as database and/or data is usually somewhere else.

Price will change once Premium V2 goes from Preview to GA, this is something Microsoft does with almost all features, lower prices while you test how it goes before GA.

Introducing new tier doesn't mean that old tier will go away and prices may go down a bit once new tier is GA.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:13 PM
  • New ones have twice the RAM, too.

Josh

Friday, September 1, 2017 10:08 AM