none
Wrong data type in SUMPRODUCT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a frustrating error in a formula that used to work perfectly fine.

I reduced a very long SUMPRODUCT formula to this, for debugging purposes:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(CasesTable[Case Type]=$B12),--(CasesTable[Status]=O$8), --(1=1))

The cell error I'm getting is: A value used in the formula is of the wrong data type.

If I remove the last argument: --(1=1) from the formula - no error is raised. This works:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(CasesTable[Case Type]=$B12),--(CasesTable[Status]=O$8))

Explanations:

CaseTable[Case Type] holds strings with multiple (validated) possible values, e.g.: YAZ, ACTOS, ....

CaseTable[Status] holds strings with four (validated) possible values: Active, Dropped, Settled, Cleared.

Call B12 holds one of the possible values (e.g. "YAZ").

Call O8 holds one of the four values (e.g. "Dropped").

(It doesn't matter which values I put in B12 and O8 - the error persists).

Excel 2013.

Any idea what's the issue here?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:27 PM

Answers

• Thanks, ryguy72,

In the end, I changed the formula to have one array with multiplication instead of list of many arrays separated by commas.

Instead of:

I wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(CasesTable[Case Type]=$B12) * --(CasesTable[Status]=O$8) * --(1=1))

And also, I removed spaces and new-line characters I had in the formula string (for readability).

<link href="chrome://s3gt/skin/s3gt_tooltip.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    • Marked as answer by morsagmon Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:23 PM

All replies

• The double unary is used to convert an internal array of TRUE/FALSE into 1/0.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the '1' is being converted to '-1'. 

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Thanks, ryguy72,

In the end, I changed the formula to have one array with multiplication instead of list of many arrays separated by commas.

Instead of:

I wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(CasesTable[Case Type]=$B12) * --(CasesTable[Status]=O$8) * --(1=1))

And also, I removed spaces and new-line characters I had in the formula string (for readability).

<link href="chrome://s3gt/skin/s3gt_tooltip.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    • Marked as answer by morsagmon Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:23 PM