Text being cut off when the text spreads (wraps) to more than one line in excel export of SSRS report RRS feed

• Question

• I have an SSRS report which exports well to excel. When the text is more than one line, it is being wrapped well but 

I see some data being cutoff. How do we solve this issue? Please help, I need this soon.

Thanks,

Ashrith

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Ashrith,

First, check whether the CanGrow property of the textbox that hosts the long text is set to True. If not, set it to True.

If it is not the case, please check whether there are merged cells in the report.  If there are cells merged, when exporting to Excel, word-wrap does not work correctly and the AutoSize property of the textbox will not work.

Reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd255234.aspx#ExcelLimitations

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:00 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashrith,

First, check whether the CanGrow property of the textbox that hosts the long text is set to True. If not, set it to True.

If it is not the case, please check whether there are merged cells in the report.  If there are cells merged, when exporting to Excel, word-wrap does not work correctly and the AutoSize property of the textbox will not work.

Reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd255234.aspx#ExcelLimitations

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:00 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for the response Yin!

As you mentioned, CanGrow property is already set to true and there are cells merged. I understand that this is a limitation with SSRS reporting and that the word-wrap does not work properly for merged cells.

However, I have another couple of fields in the same report which do not have any merged cells for which this is happening.

Please help.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:44 AM