RS.EXE - Automate report upload and change report datasource RRS feed

• Question

• User-331009151 posted

Hi, I need to automate the deployment of our reports to the report server. I am using rs.exe and I have got it almost working as I need it to. The only part that I am stuck on is being able to change the report datasource once it has been uploaded to the server.

An example;

My report locally refer to a datasource called 'Local_DS'.

'Local_DS' does not exist on my report server in the datasource folder BUT a datasource called 'LIVE_DS' does.

I need to change each reports datasource from 'Local_DS' to now use 'LIVE_DS'.

This is where I am stuck. I have gotten close, I think, but maybe looking at it too hard now and missing the obvious.

Here is what I have got so far;

rs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

Dim item As CatalogItem

Dim items As CatalogItem()

Try

items = rs.ListChildren("/" + ReportFolder, False)

For Each item In items

Dim dataSources() As DataSource = rs.GetItemDataSources(item.Path)

For Each ds As DataSource In dataSources

'Set report DataSource references
                        Dim sharedDataSources(0) As DataSource

sharedDataSources(0) = GetDataSource(DataSourcePath, item.Name)

Dim sharedDataSourceReference0 As New DataSourceReference

sharedDataSourceReference0.Reference = DataSourcePath

Dim sharedDataSource0 As New DataSource

sharedDataSource0.Item = CType(sharedDataSourceReference0, DataSourceDefinitionOrReference)

sharedDataSource0.Name = DataSourceName

sharedDataSources(0) = sharedDataSource0

rs.SetItemDataSources("/Datasource/" + DataSourceName, sharedDataSources)

Console.WriteLine("Set " & ds.Name & " datasource for " & item.Path & " report")

Next

Next

Console.WriteLine("Shared data source reference set for reports in the {0} folder.", ReportFolder)

This does not seem to work for me. Can anyone point me to a working example?

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:37 AM

Answers

• User-331009151 posted

Never mind, finally figured it out myself. I was under the mistaken beleif thqat you could change the name of the datasource as well as the path reference but it appears that you cannot change the name, just the path.

My working code;

rs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials

Dim item As CatalogItem

Dim items As CatalogItem()

Try

items = rs.ListChildren("/" + ReportFolder, False)

For Each item In items

Dim dataSources() As DataSource = rs.GetItemDataSources(item.Path)

For Each ds As DataSource In dataSources

'Set report DataSource references
                        Dim sharedDataSources(0) As DataSource

sharedDataSources(0) = GetDataSource(DataSourcePath, item.Name)

Dim sharedDataSourceReference0 As New DataSourceReference

sharedDataSourceReference0.Reference = DataSourcePath + "/" + DataSourceName

Dim sharedDataSource0 As New DataSource

sharedDataSource0.Item = CType(sharedDataSourceReference0, DataSourceDefinitionOrReference)

sharedDataSource0.Name = ds.Name

sharedDataSources(0) = sharedDataSource0

rs.SetItemDataSources(item.Path, sharedDataSources)

Console.WriteLine("Update '" & ds.Name & "' datasource for '" & item.Path & "' to datasource '" & DataSourcePath + "/" + DataSourceName & "'")

Next

Next

Console.WriteLine("Shared data source reference set for reports in the {0} folder.", ReportFolder)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:29 PM