none
VS 2017 window floating

Question

• Hi,

In VS2015 when I open solution I use 3 display setup and open each display different file/toolbar/pane. This worked as expected. In taskbar I had 1 thumbnail preview per solution:

VS2015

With VS2017 this behaviour changed. I open 2 solutions with 3 window each and I get 6 thumbnail previews in taskbar:

VS2017

this makes almost impossible to use VS as I get used before. Now I should maximize(bring to front) all 3 windows for solution to start coding.

How can I change window behavior to VS2015 style?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi TURNSKIN85,

After research, I found there is an option to set this. Please go to Tools-Options..-Environment-Tabs and Windows, there is an option 'Floating tab wells always stay on top of the main window' with a sub option with the same name, default the sub option is checked, you need to check the root option and save it like the following to make VS 2017 not create an extra thumbnail for the floating tab.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by TURNSKIN85 Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:52 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi TURNSKIN85,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, I tested this similar scenario on my VS 2015 and 2017, I found when we make a tab under Text Editor windows to float, then it will add a vs thumbnail preview in the taskbar, but if I make panel like Toolbox, Solution Explorer to float, no thumbnail preview will be added in the taskbar. It looks like the thumbnail preview display in the taskbar is depend on its type, the behavior is the same in VS 2015 and VS 2017.

For example

1. I open VS 2015/2017 and create a new project

2. Go to File Explore to access another solution store folders, double click xx.sln and choose VS 2015/2017 to open it, now there are 2 thumbnail preview in the taskbar.

3. If I make the toolbox to float, no new thumbnail preview be added in the taskbar, but if I open some file in Text Editor then make one to float, a new thumbnail preview is created in the taskbar, now I have 3 thumbnail preview as the following screenshot:

VS 2015:

VS 2017:

If I made any misunderstand about your issue, please feel free to let me know, thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Yes, you understood me right.

Expected behaviour VS2017 do not create thumbnail for document opened in new window.

Compare VS2015 vs VS2017 same window setup:

VS2015

vs

VS2017

Other thing when you minimize VS2017 solution, to maximize it you should maximize all 3 windows.

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Hi TURNSKIN85,

Thank you for your update.

>>Expected behaviour VS2017 do not create thumbnail for document opened in new window.

How did you open document in new windows? From your screenshots, I cannot know the detail information about these 3 VS windows in your each screenshot, it is a little hard to see clearly.

Please provide the detail steps to reproduce your issue in VS 2017, I will follow it on my side to test it, thank you for your support.

BTW, if you follow my example in VS 2017 that describes in the last reply, can you get the same result as mine?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Sunday, March 12, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Thank you for reply.

Yes, making file floating creates new thumbnail.

>> BTW, if you follow my example in VS 2017 that describes in the last reply, can you get the same result as mine?

Yes, your steps reproduce this behaviour.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi TURNSKIN85,

Thank you for your update and followed my steps, you got the different result as mine?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:16 AM
  • I've got same result as yours.

My expectation: floating file would not create extra thumbnail

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Hi TURNSKIN85,

After research, I found there is an option to set this. Please go to Tools-Options..-Environment-Tabs and Windows, there is an option 'Floating tab wells always stay on top of the main window' with a sub option with the same name, default the sub option is checked, you need to check the root option and save it like the following to make VS 2017 not create an extra thumbnail for the floating tab.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by TURNSKIN85 Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:52 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:53 AM