none
Logical loop trying to sign in RRS feed

• Question

• I have just been trying to sign into technet to make a comment on a blog. However when I sign in I am presented with a page (url: http://blogs.technet.com/user/createuser.aspx?returnURL=/b/joscon/archive/2010/06/12/where-is-vsp1cln-on-windows-2008.aspx)  which says this:

---------------------------

Welcome to the TechNet Blogs!

If you are brand new to the TechNet Blogs, please complete the "Create New Account?" section and click Join Now.

• You do not have to use your Windows Live ID email address in this section. Please use an email address where you can receive communications from the TechNet Blogs.
    • You should also set your timezone correctly. It will ensure dates and times are displayed correctly for you.

If you already had an account on the TechNet blogs before the site upgrade (when Windows Live ID sign-in was introduced), please complete the "Already had an account previously?" section at the bottom of the page. You do not need to complete any of the "Create New Account?" section.

• If this page refreshes after entering your username/password and clicking Associate Account, please confirm your credentials and try again.

Note: You do not have to create an account to read the TechNet Blogs. If you do not wish to create an account at this time, click the Sign out link in the top right of the page.
    ------------------------------------

followed by a form to either register or associate an existing account. If I try to register it tells me that the email is already registered - so I must have registered previously. I am already signed in using my windows live ID.

Below the register form there is another form which says:
    -----------------------------

Already had an account previously?

Enter your screen name and password below and your Windows Live ID will be associated to that account.
      <fieldset class="field-list create-user-form" style="margin-top: 1em; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 1em; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; border: initial none initial;">
    • <label class="field-item-header" style="font-weight: normal; display: block;" for="ctl00_content_ctl00_fragment_4004_ctl01_ctl00_ctl02_Username">Sign in name</label>Please enter your previous screen name.-------------------------------------------------
      </fieldset>

Here it asks my previous screen name and password. What previous screen name? If I look at my profile I don't have a screen name. I do have a display name but it doesn't seem to like this either. What on earth is it asking me for a password for if it already recognises me from my live ID? What password is this? How do I find it or reset it.
    I've hit a brick wall with this. I can neither register nor can I sign in, nor can I reset the password. 
    Something is wrong with the logic here.
    Ian
    • Moved by Xinyan Ma 马欣妍 Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:11 AM forum cleanup (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:19 AM