How to restore a backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have been backing up my SQL Server 2005 databases for some time without needing to restore.  Today, I attempted to restore a backup on another server and received the following message:

Restore failed for Server 'MGLENOVO\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'walls_Template' database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

HOWEVER, the name is in fact the same.  BESIDES, what if I wanted to restore a copy of the database, shouldn't I be able to restore to a different name????

Monday, February 26, 2007 2:12 PM

Answers

• I dont know about sql express but

using sql server 2005 I had the same problem.. a blank copy of database try to restore old database file to it..

found out its not actually to do with naming convention but

the overwirte target database option is not checked (thats why I was unable to restore!)

so using gui

task-> restore db -> choose restore source-> check the restore checkbox -> go to options-> check the overwrite db checkbox -> finally execute restore

that did the trick for me.. hope its any help!

btw, there are command line restore options as well , they seem to be working good !!

if you are still stuck go search for em!

Xaverine

Friday, March 9, 2007 8:56 AM

All replies

• You can restore the database as a different name using RESTORE DATABASE <newdbName>.... WITH MOVE option in order to take new data & log file names.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 3:00 PM
  • I dont know about sql express but

using sql server 2005 I had the same problem.. a blank copy of database try to restore old database file to it..

found out its not actually to do with naming convention but

the overwirte target database option is not checked (thats why I was unable to restore!)

so using gui

task-> restore db -> choose restore source-> check the restore checkbox -> go to options-> check the overwrite db checkbox -> finally execute restore

that did the trick for me.. hope its any help!

btw, there are command line restore options as well , they seem to be working good !!

if you are still stuck go search for em!

Xaverine

Friday, March 9, 2007 8:56 AM
  • Will the Restore with Move with Physicaly move all the records from the Original Database if exisit ?
    I have Backup of DB1 and Restored it to DB2 using Restore with Move and STATS=1,Replace and it deleted all records from my Original DB. i.e DB.
    I was surperized to see all DB1 tables were emptied.

Any Idea what would have gone wrong ?

Monday, March 26, 2007 3:30 PM
  • This worked for me using Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Thanks!

Monday, May 7, 2012 4:08 PM