Visual Studio 2013 and 2012 Ultimate causing extreme slow shut down of brand new laptops after installation. RRS feed

• Question

• I am very slow shut down issues on not just one but two brand new laptops that I am convinced are related to the installation of Visual Studio 2013 Desktop and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.

Laptop 1: I purchase a brand new Lenovo Y50 laptop with Win8.1, i7, 8GB ram 1TB hybrid drive two weeks ago. After the initial setup and doing all my windows updates I installed Office 365 did more windows updates until none were available. I was very happy with the sub 20 second start-up/boot and sub 15 second shut down. Then I installed Java, Visual Studio 2013 Desktop (a few days later VS 2012 Ultimate), Steam, DayZ. Updated DirectX, and video drivers. It wasn't actually until the next day that I noticed that the shut down took a very long time.  Start-up took only a few seconds longer but shutdown took around 1 minute and 40 seconds!!!!  This is on a brand new clean system almost from day two. It NEVER occurred to me that Visual Studio could be causing the slowdown. I thought it was a hardware issue that manifest itself after a few hours of burn-in and not having hours and hours of time because of (work and school) to figure out why this this is so slow to shut down I exchanged it yesterday for a brand new Y50.

Laptop 2: AGAIN after doing the initial setup and installing all the windows updates I was once again very happy that this machine. As with the first one, I was very happy with the sub 20 second start-up and sub 15 second shut down due to the hybrid drive.  This time I only installed Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate and update 2 (need that version for school). I restarted the system and immediately I noticed that I went from sub 15 second shutdown to around 1 minute and 40 seconds again. I have booted the computer and shut it down several times to the Start screen and even if I shut it down without having launched any programs it takes 1:40 min to shut down.

I am convinced that it is Visual Studio that is causing the very slow shut down. I have not uninstalled or done a system restore in hopes that a expert could have me troubleshoot this on my machine to try and figure out why VS is causing the slow shutdown issue. 

Please help and thank you...

Tom

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi  tomfrazier,

Actually I feel that it is not the VS issue, but if possible, you could run your windows in safe mode, test it again.

Or you could disable the startup in your windows, check it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Sincerely,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:23 PM

All replies

• You mean even if Visual Studio is not running, the shutdown process on your computer is slow? How can you possibly believe that this is related to Visual Studio? I'm extremely skeptical.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:15 AM
  • You mean even if Visual Studio is not running, the shutdown process on your computer is slow? How can you possibly believe that this is related to Visual Studio? I'm extremely skeptical.

That is correct and exactly what I was thinking. I just think it is highly unlikely that I get two laptops with exactly the same issue. Brand new systems with only Windows Updates installed both where fast. Once I installed Visual Studio things slowed down drastically.

I'm thinking VS starts some processes or services at start-up but I haven't found anything. 

All I can go by is my experience with Laptop 1 and 2... So I don't know. :(

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:24 AM
  • Hi  tomfrazier,

Actually I feel that it is not the VS issue, but if possible, you could run your windows in safe mode, test it again.

Or you could disable the startup in your windows, check it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Sincerely,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:23 PM
  • VS Community 2013 is causing a 2 minute shutdown delay on my system too .

I rolled it back ,  3 second shutdown , reinstalled , 2 minute shutdown .

uninstall didn't fix it , needs a full rollback .

this is was on a new ssd fresh windows 7 install .

going to try the 2015 preview instead.

• Edited by Sloppyslim Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:02 PM
  • VS Community 2013 is causing a 2 minute shutdown delay on my system too .

I rolled it back ,  3 second shutdown , reinstalled , 2 minute shutdown .

uninstall didn't fix it , needs a full rollback .

this is was on a new ssd fresh windows 7 install .

going to try the 2015 preview instead.

I have the same issue (long shutting down time) with VS Community 2017, while the trial of VS Professional works just fine. I think this is the only problem with Community version?
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:41 AM