none
Help'Pop up' Information For Users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am looking for an imaginative  way to provide help information in my application for users.

It would be good if there was a way to provide a 'pop up' facility so that if the user hovers over a cell or range of cells a 'pop up help screen' is displayed.

I know I can use the comment facility in a cell but I don't find this very elegant.

I am not sure if there is an answer to this but would welcome any suggestions as to how you may have provided help information in your applications.

many thanks

Peter

Monday, November 6, 2017 9:24 AM

Answers

• A relatively simple way is to use Data Validation, but this only works when the user selects a cell (or cells) in the range:

• Select the range.
    • On the Data tab of the ribbon, click Data Validation.
    • Leave the 'Allow' dropdown on the first tab of the dialog set to 'Any value' (unless you want to restrict the values that can be entered, of course).
    • Activate the 'Input Message' tab.
    • Specify a title and a message.
    • Click OK.

The message will be displayed when the user selects one or more cells in the range:

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

• Marked as answer by py1 Monday, November 6, 2017 8:03 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 3:00 PM

All replies

• A relatively simple way is to use Data Validation, but this only works when the user selects a cell (or cells) in the range:

• Select the range.
    • On the Data tab of the ribbon, click Data Validation.
    • Leave the 'Allow' dropdown on the first tab of the dialog set to 'Any value' (unless you want to restrict the values that can be entered, of course).
    • Activate the 'Input Message' tab.
    • Specify a title and a message.
    • Click OK.

The message will be displayed when the user selects one or more cells in the range:

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

• Marked as answer by py1 Monday, November 6, 2017 8:03 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 3:00 PM
  • thanks Hans - i may use this , or may do something with a Form.

regards,

Peter

Monday, November 6, 2017 8:03 PM