Create Test Certificate Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VS 2012 on a Windows 7 Machine. When I go to the Signing tab under my solutions Properties page to try Create Test Certificate I get the following message box: Certificate Creation Error - Object already exists. (Exception from HRESULT:0x8009000F)

This never used to happen before and I cant think of anything that I've changed. I've checked that I've been running as administrator and that I have the proper permissions to the Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder.

I also tried to create a certificate using makecert.exe, but that also fails everytime.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:38 PM

Answers

• this solved the issue for me HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid This key should ideally have the GUID of the machine without curly braces, so {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} becomes xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, August 18, 2014 9:00 AM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi jvdub22,

Error - Object already exists. (Exception from HRESULT:0x8009000F)

The eror seems telling us something exist which persist this issue. I don't think you have a exist certificate but can you clarify it first to confirm this? Also please check if this issue persist when you create another new simple project.

To solve this issue, you may take the following thread as your reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/e7f79610-7da6-485e-a042-f757a7dd08c5/errors-signing-with-pfx-file-an-attempt-was-made-to-reference-a-token-that-does-not-exist

Please ignore the answer from there, it is about VS2010. Let's see some others' post:

A. "1) Without closing VS open command prompt as Administrator

2) Execute "sn -d VS_xxxxxxx" with container name from error message

3) Execute "sn -i xxxxx.pfx VS_xxxxxxx", enter password when prompted

Go back to VS, build project."

B. Run VS from Admin mode

C. See here: http://polydevmono.blogspot.com/2006/10/error-8013141c-in-visual-studio-or.html

Please feel free to post your feedback here.

Regards

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 1, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Hi Barry thanks for your feedback. The issue persists even if I create a new project. The issue also persists in VS 2008 as well.

When I try using command prompt and "sn -d [ProjectName]_TemporaryKey" I get the error: "Strong name key container not found"

Friday, August 1, 2014 3:43 PM
  • Hello jvdub22,

Then please try the following:

1. Please run Visual Studio from Admin mode(Just click 'Run as Administrator' of Visual Studio)

2. Another possible solution is this blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andrekl/archive/2008/01/08/strong-name-signing-in-visual-studio-2005-requires-keyspec-2-at-signature.aspx

I test the certuitl.exe and it exist in my Windows 8.1 OS but I haven't have a test on Win 7, you can search it from your C:\Windows\System32

3. The "Strong name key container not found" means it cannot find the container, when you check that folder d is useless.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:35 AM
  • this solved the issue for me HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid This key should ideally have the GUID of the machine without curly braces, so {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} becomes xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, August 18, 2014 9:00 AM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:14 PM