401 Unauthorized RRS feed

• Question

• User-1142048758 posted

I have a .NET Windows form application that sends an HTTP POST with a couple of form variables to a web service (RESTful based on Microsoft MVC). I'm getting a very strange behavior with authentication. The Windows form app passes the user's credentials to the web service. Here's how it goes:

1) I start up the app, I click the button, the POST is sent, a proper JSON response is returned and all is happy. I can continue to POST to the web service successfully

2) I shut down the application and restart. Click the button, post is sent, still get a 401 error.

3) I shut down the application and restart again. Same thing happens.

4) I restart IIS 7 (on a remote server running Windows Server 2008).

5) Click the button again, it works until I shut down the app and run it again.

So in a nutshell, I restart IIS 7, I can make one POST with credentials fine, after that I get a 401 error. Now I'm pretty sure this is something dumb I am doing, perhaps something I'm not closing? Sending a POST via FireFox works beautifully.

My Client Code:

request.PreAuthenticate = true;
                request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

string result = string.Empty;

using (HttpWebResponse response = (HttpWebResponse)request.GetResponse())
                {
                    using (Stream responseStream = response.GetResponseStream())
                    {
                        using (StreamReader readStream = new StreamReader(responseStream, Encoding.UTF8))
                        {
                            result = readStream.ReadToEnd();
                        }
                    }
                    request.Abort();
                    if (response != null)
                        response.Close();
                }

And I have :

<authentication mode="Windows"/>
        <identity impersonate="true"/>

in the Web.Config

Can anyone help?

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:38 PM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

From your description, I understand that the first request is fine, but it doesn't work at second time, right?

The code looks fine. In your case, we can try to disable "Keep-Alives" for the HTTP.

For more information, see http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/posts/51891.aspx

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:08 AM