Can't open/upgrade SSRS 2005 project in VS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody help me?

When i try to open project which was create in SSRS 2005 in Visual Studio 2008 I get an error:

'F:\test\Reports\Reports.rptproj' cannot be opened because its project type (.rptproj) is not supported by this version if Visual Studio.

Thank you in advance.

Tina

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:43 PM

Answers

• Sorry, you were asking about working with SQL Server 2005 projects. One thing that I forgot to mention is that VS.NET itself doesn't support BI project types. They get added to VS.NET when you install the SQL Server client tools. Since SQL Server 2005 client tools don't know anything about VS.NET 2008, nothing gets integrated with VS.NET 2008.

I believe that working with SQL Server 2005 projects will require you stick with BIDS 2005 or VS.NET 2005. That's because when you open a RS 2005 project in BIDS 2008, the report definitions will get convered to the new RDL format so you won't be able to publish them back to SQL Server 2005. I hope someone from the RS team reads and confirm this.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:11 AM
  • In CTP November, BIDS 2008 is essentially equivalent to BIDS 2005 (based on RDL 2005). 

However, this will change in future CTPs as BIDS 2008 receives all the updates for a new and improved report design experience.  It will then also use the RDL 2008 format and upgrade old reports on loading into BIDS.

-- Robert

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:38 AM
  • Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback.  It is appreciated and has been heard.

Yes, it was an active decision that the 2008 design evironments would not support continuous backwards compatability but would rather be a one way upgrade.  This was not a casual decision and it is understood how it can be an impact. 

The reality is that there were so many changes and enhancements we desired to make to the product or needed to, that backwards compatability of the design environments was not realistic.  Many of the changes were driven by our customers.  There were large changes in our report design controls themselves, then the 'wiring' process to BIDS because we wanted to upgrade to VS2008 at the same time, RDL itself was enhanced to support great new features, and then of course the server components had to change to support the new RDL as well as the many other improvements done on the server to enhance performance and processing.

It would not be a trivial effort to just make everything work back AND forth between 2005 and 2008 design environments.  The handling of the two RDL versions alone would add a lot of extra code to design tools.  It was decided it was not realistic and if a decision had to made our customers as a whole, would prefer to see more of the enhancements and improvements make it into the 2008 proudct.  This is true for the three BI tools which use BIDS, so we do have a consitent story across the product.

With Reporting Services we did try to ease the transition some though it sounds like we could have used more communication and awareness.   

• BIDs is not upgraded but the new version is installed side by side.  This is done so the old environment is left running for those that need it. 
    • The Report server can process old RDL and new RDL.  This was done to help insure server/production stability.  Certain flavors of customized reports cannot be automatically upgraded and in those cases the server will still process them in the older .rdl format so they continue to 'run' on the server and there is no interruption.  Of course you will take more advantage of the new server enhancements with upgraded reports but out of the gate its not required on the server.  I have trivialized a lot of work on the server in that last sentence, so if your interested there is a lot more info, starting with the  Upgrading Reports topic.  It would certainly have been easier for us to also cut the server over to the new version only, but we do understand the impact of changes like that and knew it was not the best thing for our customers.
    • BIDs automatically upgrades the rdl of the report but a backup copy is created, which is also discussed some in the Upgrading Reports topic.

I know my notes do not make your frustrations any better but I do hope you take away that various options were considered, we were actually listening to customers and their desires for enehancements, and we will work on the communication next time around.  Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Thanks Neil, I understand your frustration.

As I noted, we can certainly improve on the communication of things next time around and see how to better address the different needs of a wider customer audience.

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:19 PM

All replies

• SQL Server 2008 BI projects are not integrated with VS.NET 2008 yet. This will most likely happen in the next CTP. You need to use BIDS 2005 or VS.NET 2005 to work with BI projects for now.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:24 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  This has nothing to do with using SQL Server 2008 (which will hopefully rock).  It has to do with using the SQL Server 2005 (you know the same version of SQL that is installed with VS 2008!).  VS2008 does not upgrade reporting services projects from 2005 and will not open them.   So it sounds like in order to use reporting services in VS 2008 you must use SQL Server 2008 (which is not finished yet)?!?   This can't be the case, what are all of the people supposed to do that have SQL 2k5 projects, just not upgrade to new VS!?!?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:02 AM
  • So it sounds like in order to use reporting services in VS 2008 you must use SQL Server 2008 (which is not finished yet)?!?  

I understand that the current situation is not very convenient. However, we just need to wait for a couple of months or so for the next SQL Server CTP to get the BI projects integrated in VS.NET 2008.

This can't be the case, what are all of the people supposed to do that have SQL 2k5 projects, just not upgrade to new VS!?!?

No, just install VS.NET 2008 side by side with VS.NET 2005 or BIDS 2005. In fact, when you install VS.NET 2008, it leaves the oher VS.NET instances intact. 

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:31 AM
  • Sorry, you were asking about working with SQL Server 2005 projects. One thing that I forgot to mention is that VS.NET itself doesn't support BI project types. They get added to VS.NET when you install the SQL Server client tools. Since SQL Server 2005 client tools don't know anything about VS.NET 2008, nothing gets integrated with VS.NET 2008.

I believe that working with SQL Server 2005 projects will require you stick with BIDS 2005 or VS.NET 2005. That's because when you open a RS 2005 project in BIDS 2008, the report definitions will get convered to the new RDL format so you won't be able to publish them back to SQL Server 2005. I hope someone from the RS team reads and confirm this.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:11 AM
  • In CTP November, BIDS 2008 is essentially equivalent to BIDS 2005 (based on RDL 2005). 

However, this will change in future CTPs as BIDS 2008 receives all the updates for a new and improved report design experience.  It will then also use the RDL 2008 format and upgrade old reports on loading into BIDS.

-- Robert

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:38 AM
  • Thank you for explanation! It was very helpful!

Tina
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:44 PM
  • Okay.  I think I understand.  I really wish VS2008 could open the SQL2005 VS modules.  Right now I have a VS2005 solution that has a reporting services project in it.  It sounds like my only choice is to break my reporting project out of my solution and just edit the reports in BIDS (VS2005).

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Yes, this will be the unfortunate side effect if you don't upgrade to SQL Server 2008.

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:03 PM
  • JonM we had to do the same thing kinda a pain as we have 6 report projects but the solution does build much faster now at least.

SQL Express 2008 Advanced should include VS2008 BI like the current one does so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:59 PM
  • I've recently installed VS 2008 on my workstation.  I just found out I can no longer publish SSRS Projects from VS 2005 anymore.  It crashes the VS 2005 ide.  (Trying to publish to a SQL 2005 server).

Always worked before, I am guessing it is because VS 2008 was installed.  For now I manually uploaded the .rdl file to the server.

Anybody else having this problem?
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:42 PM
  •  

Man,

"However, we just need to wait for a couple of months blah blah blah". Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I can't believe that we have to wait "a couple of months" for something that was already working and just got sucked.

Rgrds,

Marco.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Just to report back.  I cannot duplicate this problem on a new machine. Which is a good thing. Smile

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Marco,

Please help me to understand which part is ridiculous. If you need SQL Server 2005 integration in VS.NET 2008 that's not going to happen. You need to keep BIDS 2005 around just like you have to keep VS.NET 2005 for VS.NET 2005 code projects. If you want the SQL 2008 Report Designer in VS.NET 2008, I don't think your complaint is reasonable given that you are working with pre-release bits.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Your argument is flawed because 1) it's not pre-release anymore and more importantly 2) VS 2008 converts your 2005 projects for you (or you change 2 characters yourself) and you can happily work with VS2008.Not for this issue.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Just to clarify:

1) I meant SQL Server 2008

2) BIDS and VS.NET 2008 will support upgrading BI projects from the previous release.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Hello everybody,

I think the main problem is not that we'll have to wait for SQL 2008 RTM to be able to design SQL 2008 reports in VS 2008. The main problem would be if things will be like they where during the transition from VS 2003/SRS 2000 to VS 2005/SRS 2005. The problem is that we have *customers*! We had to urge all our happy SQL Server 2000 / RS 2000 customers to buy upgrades to SQL 2005 just in order to use .NET 2.0 and VS 2005 for development, because VS 2005 could not create SQL 2000 reports. Having to use both VS 2003 and VS 2005 is more than a pain in daily development.

Will the same happen here again? Will we have to stick with VS 2005 and .NET 2.0 for years until *all* our customers are ready, able and willing to upgrade to SQL 2008 for essentially no other reason than we would like to use VS 2008 and .NET 3.x? After all, the customers are *quite* happy with SQL 2005, and getting them to upgrade to SQL 2008 *will* take *years*!

Best Regards,

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

Could you explain your deployment needs a bit more? I am not sure why would want to design SQL Server 2008 reports if the customers are not upgrading. Also, don't forget that we will get a stand-alone report designer, aka Report Builder 2008, that will let you write SQL Server 2008 reports outside BIDS/VS 2008. Will that help?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:33 PM
  • So Microsoft say we can upgrade to VS2008 and still target .NET 2.0. Great! So we now upgrade to VS2008 but we can't design our SSRS 2005 reports anymore! On the one hand they realise that backwards compatibility is important, but then on the other, they don't.

FACT: Some of our customers (who are global investment banks) have only recently ratified SQL Server 2005. They aren't moving to SQL 2008 any time soon (nevermind that it has just been delayed).

We don't want Visual Studio tied to a single DB version!
    Friday, February 1, 2008 11:46 AM
  • I personally think that Microsoft is doing a great job maintaining backward compatibility by letting you deploy and run RDL 2000 and 2005 on the 2008 server. Yes, it could be great to be able to target SQL Server 2005 by downgrading the RDL definition on deploy (with feature loss, etc).

However, if I have to choose between backward compatibility and core enhancements, I'd rather go with the latter given that I can keep around BIDS 2005. It's a nuisance but at least there is a way. The only downside is that you won't be able to include your code projects and report projects in the same solution.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 2:02 PM
  • I can't begin to tell you the hassle I went through to get VS 2008 to install on my machine clean. Now you tell me I can't modify my VS 2005 / SQL 2005 Reports.....Great....Just Great....Microsoft .....Good Job....

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Hi Teo Lachev, I really wonder why this is the case with VS 2008, making applications interact  which are build on different IDE's is something not advisable right?

So, u said it will be available with the next CTP, but will it be available with SQL 2005 in future, i mean will VS 2008 will support SQL 2005 BI (RS)?? Because Backward compatibility have to be mentained right?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Hi Azhar,

Hi Teo Lachev, I really wonder why this is the case with VS 2008, making applications interact  which are build on different IDE's is something not advisable right?

When you get the February CTP (CTP6), which will be out really soon, you will understand why. There are fundamental changes to Report Designer and RDL 2008. So, the new designer produces RDL 2008 only. I guess enhancing Report Designer to support both RDL 2005 and 2008 would have required too much effort.  

So, u said it will be available with the next CTP, but will it be available with SQL 2005 in future, i mean will VS 2008 will support SQL 2005 BI (RS)?? Because Backward compatibility have to be mentained right?

Microsoft is in best position to confirm this but I doubt that project backward compatibility, as you describe it, will ever get implemented. This is similar to not being able to work with VS 2005 projects in VS 2008. To clarify again, server compatability is a different story and it will be maintained. On the client side, BIDS 2005 side-by-side with VS 2008 is the solution when targeting SQL Server 2005.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Hello Teo,

first, thank you for your answer, and please excuse me for answering so slowly. I thought I had set things up so that I would receive an email if someone answered.

The point is, we have customers running SQL 2005 and get .net software created with a (single) VS2005 solution, containing .net and RS2005 projects. Of course, we would like to move these projects to VS2008. If, however, we would not be able to design the reports in VS2008 so that they still are deployable to RS2005, we have a problem. No there may be several ways to cope with that:

a) Stick with VS2005 until we can get *all* of the customers to upgrade to SQL2008. Do you know what work it was to convince them to upgrade to SQL2005 for no othere relevant (for them) reason other than us being able to move from VS2003 to VS2005?

b) VS2008 does support designing reports running in RS2005 and we simply didnt know.

c) VS2008 does support designing reports running in RS2005 via some add-in or some new version of the RS2005 report designer add-in which could run in VS2008.

d) Again urge all of our customers to upgrade to SQL2008 (which isn't even released yet) - impossible if you ask me (see a) )

e) Divide development to different tools instead of a single VS version. Say, VS2008 for code and VS2005 or BIS2005 for reports. But this would mean to break up existing VS solutions into pieces. And what about source code control, to name only one point of potential issues?

Am I missing something and you have a great tip for me? What would you suggest?

Best Regards,

Stefan Falk

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:38 PM
  • I'd go for e) in a heartbeat. I don't understand why it's not practical for you to break the solution into code and reporting solutions. The end result is that you will end up with two solution files. Could point out some of the potential issues for doing so? In fact, I can see two advantages for the split:

1. BIDS tends to cache lots of data as you preview reports so its memory consumption may become an issue. You can restart your Reporting Services solution independently of the code solution if you need to free up memory.

2. If your report is using custom code and you want to debug the custom code, you will find that the reporting project is locking the custom assembly. However, if you take the reporting services project out, you can configure your custom assembly project to launch the RS project in a separate instance of Visual Studio and shut it down when you end the debugging session.

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Hello Teo,

Thanks again for your input. Your arguments sound quite valid to me. Nevertheless, I see a few issues:

• I have to keep an instance of RS2005 installed on the development machines and thus cannot simply upgrade to SQL2008. I have SQL Server installed local on my machine to be able to develop at other locations as the office, including sometimes at customers sites. So I would need to keep both SQL2005 and SQL2008 installed on the notebook. *That* costs RAM ;-)
    • I find it simply convenient to have development integrated in one VS instance. Of course, this would depend on actually trying the approach you suggested.
    • What sense do the RS AddIns for VS make if we can only use them for relatively short periods of time where the versions of VS and RS and the installed versions of SQL at customers sites are the same?

Best Regards,

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:53 AM
  • I have to keep an instance of RS2005 installed on the development machines

No, you don't. You can publish your RDL 2005 to Reporting Services 2008 and it won't get converted. What you publish is what you will get back. Even if you have to keep SQL Server 2005 and 2008 SxS you can start only the services you need.

I find it simply convenient to have development integrated in one VS instance.

I understand but this would require maintaining both RDL 2005 and RDL 2008. There are profound changes to RDL 2008 (new designer, tablix, charts) as you will witness when you try CTP Feb. If they had to support both versions, they had to keep both designers and let you choose which designer to work with because the designer is married to the RDL version. But now you would say that you like the new designer but you want it to produce RDL 2005 as well :-).  That would have been too much of an effort and there were more important things to bake than backward support.

What sense do the RS AddIns for VS make

Not sure I understand this. BIDS 2005 is VS 2005. BIDS 2008 is VS 2008. They are two separated releases and are not backward compatible.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Hello Teo again,

I have to keep RS2005 (at least a VS2005 instance with the RS2005 designer) on the development machine. So the trick would be to keep BDS2005 (for developing RS2005 reports) when I upgrade the local SQL 2005 instance to 2008. That should be possible.

I see your "too much effort" arguments, but just think of MS Office where we have superb forward/backward compatibility. Take the Office 2007 Compatibility pack for older Office versions, for example. I agree that there is some effort in it, but I would find some kind of compatibility switch in the RS designer extremely helpful. I guess it would be possible to host the RS2005 designer (maybe after applying a little patch) in VS2008.

As great as the new features in RS2008 may be, we cannot take *any* value from them for products which must still run on RS2005 anyway. And we may use RS2008 features not earlier as when *all* the relevant customers have upgraded to SQL2008. So the net effect is that we can only use RS2008 features for a very small percentage of applications for *years* to come.

So I think I will do the following:

• Take the RS2005 report projects out of the VS solutions in order to be able to use VS2008 (with a light sigh).
    • See if more customers are moaning like me and eventually get Microsoft to provide some way to run the RS2005 designer AddIn in VS2008.

Thank you very much for your valuable tipps.

Best Regards,

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:37 PM
  •  

Ok I'm MOANING!

A few months ago my company went through a complete pilot to determine if SSRS 2005 would be an option for reporting.

Among other reasons, I was a MAJOR proponent for SSRS because of the convenience of the integration of all projects for a complete .Net application.  I could have my class libraries, web site, SSIS projects and SSRS projects in ONE solution.

Maintainability would be effortless.  Overall pc resources used would be less as I would only need to have one instance of VS running to do ALL my application development.

Now, having been wowed by VS 08 Team Suite, it's time to upgrade.  Oh but wait, now I can't integrate my reporting projects into 08.  That SUCKS. What's the point of using SSRS now?  I might as well use Business Objects as it has more features.

Very disappointed.

NONA

Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:39 PM
  •  

I completely agree Mona.   My clients use SQL Server 2005.  That's not going to change no matter how much Microsoft may want everyone to just instantly migrate every time they release a new version.  So it seems I'll have to stick with .Net 2.0 and VS2005.  What planet are Microsoft on?

Friday, June 13, 2008 10:52 AM
  • I sincerely believe and I'm sure someone will confirm that BIDS 2008 will be fully capable of reporting against SQL 2005 databases. This is a conflict of IDE components, not really of SQL Servers.

That having been said, to reply to a previous post "Why can't you just split your solutions?" -- have you ever heard of Team Foundation Server? Do you know what happens when you split a solution? You have to add a new project to TFS or radically modify your folder and build structure in TFS. You can't delete folder or projects that are in TFS (at least not with any MS tools and not reliably in any manner) so splitting an existing solution that is under TFS source management is "problematic" (read horrific) at best.

We currently run VS 2005/BIDS 2005 and TFS 2005. We were going to upgrade to VS 2008 and TFS 2008 but without an RTM version of BIDS 2008 we're holding off. I'm not going to install incomplete versions of BIDS on my team's PCs. The thought of having to "uninstall previous non-production versions" (as happens with so many RTM install packages) makes me sick to my stomach.

MS is selling VS/BIDS as a development solution that includes reporting, integration services, etc. If VS 2008 is dependent on BIDS 2008 to be complete as a development solution then this should have been more plainly communicated. I just returned from Tech-Ed where not one single person in all the presentations I attended on SQL 2008 and VS 2008 said one word about this issue.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Oh you have GOT to be kidding me.

At the very least... at the VERY least if you can't support the whole solution you should provide an abort option and an error message.

This is going to make an absolute mess of my development process and cause me hours of unnecessary work; not to mention the hours I've already spent upgrading to a product which, frankly, cannot be said to be working to a merchantable quality if it doesn't support the current products it's designed for. And who am I going to book that time to, pray tell?

This is a DEVELOPER tool, and we're developing for multiple customers with multiple different upgrade points.

If I'd known it didn't work properly, if I'd been told at any stage of the process that I was trying to do something the program couldn't handle, I'd have backed out - but now I'm left with a divided project that needs 2 development environments to maintain in different versions of a product hat is designed to be an INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT.

Ye gods I'm so furious I can barely restrain myself. By hiding the inability to complete the job it's supposed to do, this goes beyond incompetence into deliberate malfeasance.

I feel, right now, exactly the same as that time I was mugged.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Please help me to
    understand which part is ridiculous. If you need SQL Server 2005
    integration in VS.NET 2008 that's not going to happen.

Um you just answered your own question. If this is supposed to be a development environment then that part is ridiculous.

So is the part where it doesn't tell you that the upgrade failed  for entire projects.

So is the part where our customers have to update their SQL server so that we can use a updated development environment.

So is ... aargh. What's the point.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Not sure I understand this. BIDS 2005 is VS 2005. BIDS 2008 is VS 2008. They are two separated releases and are not backward compatible.

What's not to understand? Visual Studio tools should be linked to the target, as they are in .NET. We can target .NET 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5. Why can we not target SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 in the same way? Does MS intend to abandon support for all its server products in each version of Visual Studio?
    I notice that Oracle tools for BI work fine in either version of Visual Studio, not that I want to use Oracle BI as SQL Server is the greatest database platform in the world, but the implication is that they understand that the tool should work for the target, not define the target.

The bottom line is that industry will NOT switch to SQL Server 2008 just to get an IDE to be compatible with products the previous IDE completely understood. There is absolutely no validity in demanding that developers (read customers) should maintain older versions of the IDE in order to work with the large install base of SQL Server 2005.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:45 PM
  • Perhaps if I had not spent literally two days uninstalling, re-installing, and installing various pieces and features of SQL Server 2005, just so I could enable BIDS, which in turn was just so I could play along with the Analysis Services Tutorial--I might see your point.  

Of course, there's no way MS could have foreseen that if they offered free copies of VS2008 to students through DreamSpark, and that the industry would be all abuzz over the exciting new features of VS2008, and that said students would go ahead and install VS2008 and even plan projects around it.  In some cases uninstalling VS2005 as I did.

I still do have my VS2005 disks---bye-bye hard-drive, I guess.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Is this the final word on this?  There is no patch or something to fix this?  It is hard to believe that VS 2008 cannot be used with SQL 2005!  We have already upgraded all of our developers to VS 2008, and of course it is not feasible to just suddenly upgrade all the production / mission critical systems to SQL 2008, we just got them on SQL 2005 and of course there are other tasks to be done besides upgrading systems just to use a tool!

If Microsoft is not going to fix this problem it really calls into question the suitability of their software for enterprise business use. 
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback.  It is appreciated and has been heard.

Yes, it was an active decision that the 2008 design evironments would not support continuous backwards compatability but would rather be a one way upgrade.  This was not a casual decision and it is understood how it can be an impact. 

The reality is that there were so many changes and enhancements we desired to make to the product or needed to, that backwards compatability of the design environments was not realistic.  Many of the changes were driven by our customers.  There were large changes in our report design controls themselves, then the 'wiring' process to BIDS because we wanted to upgrade to VS2008 at the same time, RDL itself was enhanced to support great new features, and then of course the server components had to change to support the new RDL as well as the many other improvements done on the server to enhance performance and processing.

It would not be a trivial effort to just make everything work back AND forth between 2005 and 2008 design environments.  The handling of the two RDL versions alone would add a lot of extra code to design tools.  It was decided it was not realistic and if a decision had to made our customers as a whole, would prefer to see more of the enhancements and improvements make it into the 2008 proudct.  This is true for the three BI tools which use BIDS, so we do have a consitent story across the product.

With Reporting Services we did try to ease the transition some though it sounds like we could have used more communication and awareness.   

• BIDs is not upgraded but the new version is installed side by side.  This is done so the old environment is left running for those that need it. 
    • The Report server can process old RDL and new RDL.  This was done to help insure server/production stability.  Certain flavors of customized reports cannot be automatically upgraded and in those cases the server will still process them in the older .rdl format so they continue to 'run' on the server and there is no interruption.  Of course you will take more advantage of the new server enhancements with upgraded reports but out of the gate its not required on the server.  I have trivialized a lot of work on the server in that last sentence, so if your interested there is a lot more info, starting with the  Upgrading Reports topic.  It would certainly have been easier for us to also cut the server over to the new version only, but we do understand the impact of changes like that and knew it was not the best thing for our customers.
    • BIDs automatically upgrades the rdl of the report but a backup copy is created, which is also discussed some in the Upgrading Reports topic.

I know my notes do not make your frustrations any better but I do hope you take away that various options were considered, we were actually listening to customers and their desires for enehancements, and we will work on the communication next time around.  Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Yes, it was an active decision that the 2008 design evironments would not support continuous backwards compatability but would rather be a one way upgrade.  This was not a casual decision and it is understood how it can be an impact. 

Then why didn't you say so? When I first loaded my solution why didn't the upgrade process tell me that it could only do half the job.

This is a source maintenance and version controller product and now my "solution" is plit into two separate halves with no way to programatically tie the two  together.

It would not be a trivial effort to just make everything work back AND forth between 2005 and 2008 design environments.

Well I'm so sorry for you but it is not trivial to have my solution split in half without warning me and giving me a chance to back out.

Friday, September 26, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Thanks Neil, I understand your frustration.

As I noted, we can certainly improve on the communication of things next time around and see how to better address the different needs of a wider customer audience.

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:19 PM
  • good morning teo-

lots of interesting discussion around upgrading vs2005 to vs2008 and then not being able to work with rs2005 files in vs2008. arrrrggghhhh!! however, all of the arguments center around sql server; but here we're actually a 100% oracle shop.  aside from our reporting services depending on sql server 2005 as its backend, our report data knows nothing about sql server.  and our rs folks have no intentions of upgrading the rs backend anytime soon.

so how do we maintain our current slew of sr2005 reports from our newly upgraded vs2008?  and, i don't see where there is the option in vs2008 for bi project types to even create a new report from scratch. 

please shed some light on this scenario.

thanks

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Consider installing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, which is free, and using BIDS 2005 to continue authoring your RDL 2005 reports, as this article explains.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:23 PM
  • that will keep me up and running with my 2005 reports, how 'bout creating new 2008 reports and taking advantage of all the cool new features?  by using sql 2008 express w/ advanced features and vs2008 can i at least create new reports locally?  will i have to wait for the rs server to be upgraded to sql2008 before i can deploy the new reports?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I'm affraid I don't quite understand your scenario. You said you are not planning to upgrade but now you say you want to author 2008 reports. I'd appreciate it if you could explain a bit more.

Anyhow, you can download Report Builder 2.0 (requires SQL Server 2008 license) if you want to author outside BIDS. Yes, you need RS 2008 to run RDL 2008. You can also run RDL 2005 on SSRS 2008. Basically, whatever RDL format you deploy that's what you run.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I believe the issue is that they haven't deployed SQL 2008 yet so he has to keep VS2005 around to keep his RS2005 reports running. I'm in the same boat. We have SQL 2008 in our Dev environment and our developers all have the tools installed but we have to maintain separate solutions for BIDS components to keep them in VS2005 because SQL 2008 and RS 2008 are not available in production.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:03 PM
  • sorry 'bout the confusion...the development team is an autonomous group apart from the folks who maintain the reporting services servers, as well as independent of various other report development groups.  they are not at all interested in upgrading to sql server 2008 anytime soon.  it may be 18 months or so.

meanwhile, our developers have added vs2008 to their arsenal of tools, since we do a lot of other application development apart from reports.  whilst we're waiting (patiently?) for the ssrs servers to get bumped up, we'd like to begin a parallel path of rs2008 report development to be ready for the day we can deploy them to the ssrs servers.

we can also envision writing some 2008/3.5 apps using an embedded vs2008 report viewer control so we're not necessarily dependent on the ssrs servers being ready with sql 2008.  what do we need to be able to pursue this path?

thanks again

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:07 PM
  •  Just to clarify that BIDS 2005 is sufficient so you don't have to keep VS 2005 around. Instead, use BIDS 2005 in the SQL Server 2005 program group.

I undestand now. I admit that this a nuisance. IMO, Microsoft has done a great job to maintain backward compatibility on the server so you can deploy both RDL 2005 and RDL 2008 to SSRS 2008. However, the effort to keep two designers around in VS was huge. 

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Sorry, I am replying to two people at the same time so the posts are intervened.

So, you have to keep both BIDS around. That's the only solution if you need the VS IDE. The important point is that the report designer is included in BIDS not Visual Studio. So, you won't get the designer if you just install Visual Studio. Therefore, you have a SQL Server license to get BIDS. If you don't care about SQL Server and don't want to buy a license, the Express Edition is an option. SSRS 2008 report design can be done outside BIDS/Visual Studio by using Report Builder 2.0.

Does this answer your question?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:18 PM
  • i do prefer to use the vs ide, since i am very familiar with it and comfortable using it.  so, i will travel the "keep both" path; not a problem regarding licences for either vs or sql server.  but, in order to do what i want, i'll have to have both sql server 2005 as well as 2008 client tools, correct?  will installing sql server 2008 over sql server 2005 mess up my 2005 client tools and hence my ability to continue working with my rs2005 reports?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Correct, you just need the BIDS component of the client tools. You should be able to install SQL Server 2008 client components SxS with 2005 just fine. BIDS 2005 will integrate with Visual Studio 2005 (if installed), BIDS 2008 will integrate with Visual Studio 2008 (if installed). Of course, you don't have to install Visual Studio if you care about BI projects only (BIDS is the only thing you need).

If you have already uninstalled the 2005 client tools (or Visual Studio 2005), you can use the following tip to bring it back.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:25 PM
  • I don't see what the big problem is guys, I mean people typically have side by side installations of multiple versions of their other Microsoft products on the same machine, right?

Access? - NOPE
    Excel? - NOPE
    Outlook? - NOPE
    PowerPoint? - NOPE
    Word? - NOPE
    Internet Explorer? - NOPE
    Windows? - NOPE
    SQL Server? - NOPE

So someone explain to me why the developers get screwed into having more than one version of Visual Studio on their machine?  How is that a good business decision for the consumers of the product?

Imagine if the next version of Office left out support for editing the older ".doc" files.
    Do you think ANYONE would buy Office?
    Do you think anyone would be ok with "It would not be a trivial effort to just make everything work back AND forth between [multiple office] environments."

Visual Studio 2008 left out support for SSIS 2005 packages, SSIS 2008 packages, and initially left out support for editing Classic ASP pages.

Who is in charge there, the people who wrote Microsoft BOB????

And PLEASE don't respond with anything about appreciating my concern or understanding my frustration.  You obviously don't appreciate or understand the frustration and concern of the developers or you wouldn't have made this decision in the first place.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:28 PM
  •  

Hello.  Well, you told me not to say we appreciate your feedback, but I am going to say it anyway.  If nothing else for the others that read this.  We do appreciate the input into future versions and we ultimately strive to build what users want.  I will not deny the overall experience is not optimal for everyone, but some people actually like the current SxS behavior as it keeps the environments separate.

Ultimately the decision for the current behavior came down to two primary things. 
    1) What features the user base generally desires balanced with time and resources.  The change list from 2005 to 2008 was huge, for the whole spectrum of the product.  Ranging from client to processing to server. Yes, in theory the new designer could support both formats, as many will say it is just software and anything is possible.  However, time and resources are limited and the effort would not be trivial as again a lot changed between 2005/2008, and we think all for the best.  We did interact with users and what came across to us were clear user priorities of a) upgraded servers/reports keep running with little to no effort, and b) they get the long list of new features we planned, and c) the new stand alone RB2 designer came to fruition. Folks would like the 'save as older format' but not if required a trade off for the other items, which it would have.  This is includes testing.  Would users rather have some of the test resources spent verifying two report formats, or have those resources focus on the server, and ensure all of the awesome changes made to the server were solid.

2) 'Upgrade' of BIDS shell (rather than SxS) would have been messy.  The SSRS designer is based on the VS integrated shell.  So, if you have VS already installed the SQL Server setup will essentially blend the BI designers, new project types, and templates into the existing VS environment.  However, a big change with SQL Server 2008, is that BIDS is based on VS 2008 and the 2008 Integrated shell, while BIDS 2005 was based on the 2005 shell.  Therefore just upgrading the existing 2005 base could be messy and potentially risky for a user who had a full VS2005 install.  It was safest to not touch the 2005 environment and drop the new 2008 integrated shell bits/designers.

While the behavior is not optimal for everyone, the overall decisions on features sets and support address the broadest spectrum of concerns and desires.  The decision was thought through and we did consider the concerns of developers.  I cannot specify approaches to future versions but to be frank we would go through a similar evaluation process.  What do users really want, rank those desires and concerns, and then see how many we can realistically address.

I hope my note helps to at least explain the thought process, and more importantly there was a process rather than a last minute realization at the end of the train or a tossing of a dart to pick feature sets. 

-Craig (SSRS Team) // This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Craig, for letting us feel part of the process...the part that feels like they are up against a wall.

Here's one more suggestion you can ignore, next time don't give me the extra feature set, give me compatibility so I can painlessly upgrade my application to the new VS environment. If I wanted multiple parts that don't work with each other then I could go the non-Microsoft route. My belief in MS was that having a single vendor would make my development environment seamless. Thanks for gently letting me know I was being a fool.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:38 PM
  • I appreciate what you and Teo had to say on this subject, but I must echo a recurring theme that I think is conspicuously absent from your reply.

You said "The change list from 2005 to 2008 was huge, for the whole spectrum of the product."

The fact is, we are not talking about one product, but two. There is the development IDE and there is the database.

I can tell you that Microsoft's decision to keep Report Builder 1.0 around saved my bacon. A significant development effort was put forth on that product in our shop, and our users are very happy with it, because a lot of work was put into model structure and navigation of the model. The 2.0 interface is great - don't get me wrong - but it is more suited to our business analysts than it is to the average user. The 2.0 version also does not provide a way for us to pass a data source model on launch from our app as 1.0 does (at least not that I am aware of)

It just seems that something also should have been done to retain the ability to edit and deploy .RDL files from the previous version of Report Server to the version of SQL Server required to support those RDLs. That, by the way, would be a sound (and not the least bit unreasonable) design decision from a developer's prospective.

Also, I am wondering... is this always going to be this way? If you upgrade Visual Studio you must upgrade SQL Server, and once you do - will you have to abandon report deployment to a previous version of the database (unless you keep 2 versions of the IDE)?

Monday, March 16, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I have a similar problem.

I went through all the comments here. I still can't open rptproj files. I have VS 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2008 developer edition with latest service pack  with all the options installed so this means I am running the latest of the two.

I also ran "start /wait setup.exe /qb REINSTALL=SQL_WarehouseDevWorkbench REINSTALLMODE=OMUS." from the second SQL Server 2005 developer edition CD.  It displayed a message that BIDS 2005 was installed and another error message on top of it. I can't remember what it said. However I can't see BIDS 2005 in the SQL Server 2005 group. When I ran setup.exe from the second CD and chose BIDS only to install, it said it's only installed.

- How can I launch BIDS 2005?
    - How can I open rptproj files from VS 2008?
    - What the difference between BIDS 2008 and VS 2008? When I launch BIDS 2008, it seems it's just VS 2008.. does it load extra stuff?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Hi Pithecanthropus,
    Sorry this is so late relative to the age of this post but I ran across this in my search to solve a problem with trying to get BIDS\SSIS to show up in VS2005, and was wondering if you recall any magic tips that solved your issue. 

I understand that BIDS\SSIS are installed as SQL Server client tools and not part of the VS2005 install, but in trying several permutations on the sequence of installing\re-installaing VS2005 and SQL Server 2005 I have not found a combo where I can see BIDS or SSIS as part of my VS2005 setup.   So far I have been selecting all options on the SQL Server install EXCEPT Analysis Services because I don't want or need that bloat - could this be the one thing I am missing?

Cheers,
    Dennis
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:40 PM