Trigger Suspend/Resume in Visual Studio 11 Beta?

Question

• In Windows 8 Developer preview, one can debug the Suspending event present in App.xaml.cs by using the options available in Debug menu -> Trigger Suspend.I'm unable to find the option "Trigger Suspend" in Visual Studio 11 Beta. How can I debug the same here?

In Windows 8 Developer preview, Metro app would go to suspend state in 5 sec's if user switches from one app to another app. I could not observe the same behavior in Windows 8 consumer preview. Is there any change in application life cycle in Windows 8 consumer here? 

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:49 PM

Answers

• In Visual Studio 11 Beta, the Suspend, Resume, and Suspend and Shutdown options are still available.  They have been moved to the debugging toolbar:

~Gearard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:46 PM

All replies

• In Visual Studio 11 Beta, the Suspend, Resume, and Suspend and Shutdown options are still available.  They have been moved to the debugging toolbar:

~Gearard

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi Gearard,

Thanks for your answer, but however I only find this to suspend or resume app "manually".

Even I build it as "release" version, I still could not suspend and resume app automatically

I could not find any setting and related document about this, could you point out any direction of this?

Best regards,

Evan Lin

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Hi Evan -

Are you running with the debugger attached?  Even in a release build, if you are running with the debugger attached the normal process lifetime management features are disabled; the only way to trigger them would be via the commands I shared above.

~Gearard

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Hi Gearard,

Thanks for your information, I already work on my side.

I also figure out suspends event will call when I leave app about 5 seconds.

I also do some testing about sleep and hibernate, it will trigger app suspends here.

Do we need to handle any specific for sleep/hibernate during app suspends? (seems sleep/hibernate preparing time is less than 5 seconds)

~Evan Lin

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:41 AM
  • >> In Visual Studio 11 Beta, the Suspend, Resume, and Suspend and Shutdown options are still available.  They have been moved to the debugging toolbar:

To save someone else from searching, the options are on the Debug Location toolbar.

-Mike

Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:21 PM
  • And where is it in VS2012 RC ?

C++ DX11

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Oh,it just has no Name.

C++ DX11

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Looking myself and found it under  View->toolbars->debug location

Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:46 AM
  • Spent much time finding where to turn on showing this panel.

Then find your post. Helped so much.

P.S. VS 2012 with Update 4.

Friday, March 14, 2014 6:55 PM