2 application in one project or different project RRS feed

• Question

• User1125186659 posted

hye there...just a simple question..

i want to develope 2 different web application with one single membership database. What is the better approach, is it combine 2 web application into one project and deploy it as  one application. or create 2 different project and deploy it as separate application..?

The question come because, i just think, if application one have high request/access rather than application two.. is it will effect performance of application two also..?

If i seperate the project and deploy it as different application in one domain such as :

www.domain.com/applicationOne 

www.domain.com/applicationtwo 

Performance of application two will effect if application one have high request or not..?

Thanks in advance.=)

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:50 PM

Answers

• User1508394307 posted

1) both application share one dll and also share single membership database...

You can share as many dlls/databases as you need. 

2) if at peak time....application one have more request than application two...

No problem.

3) is it necessary seperate the application(in deployment) and implement single sign on...?

It's up to you.

Splitting or merging applications in projects is a pure organizational question of development. Even if you defined 2 projects, you could deploy both projects as one application on IIS with the same pool. So, I would recommend to make 2 projects which give you more flexibility.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:18 AM

All replies

• User-1388383071 posted

If both applications are diffrent you may go to use diffrenst solutions, if both this applications are sharing code base you can  use one application in single solutions.

Sharing database

Use a common DB fro asp.net membership

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:29 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

Keep applications in different projects but include them in one solution in VS.NET. This will simplify development and maintenance of the code. Use separate application pools on IIS if each application needs different access to system resources.

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:46 AM
  • User1125186659 posted

both application share one dll and also share single membership database... for my situation...application one is more often access by user and not application two... if at peak time....application one have more request than application two... is it necessary seperate the application(in deployment) and implement single sign on...?

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:56 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

1) both application share one dll and also share single membership database...

You can share as many dlls/databases as you need. 

2) if at peak time....application one have more request than application two...

No problem.

3) is it necessary seperate the application(in deployment) and implement single sign on...?

It's up to you.

Splitting or merging applications in projects is a pure organizational question of development. Even if you defined 2 projects, you could deploy both projects as one application on IIS with the same pool. So, I would recommend to make 2 projects which give you more flexibility.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:18 AM
  • User1428318736 posted

As I can understand, you have two applications sharing a single database and a dll but still maintaining its own unique stature…I term them as AppA and AppB….both are web applications having the same infrastructure….only difference that I see is AppA has more user base than AppB….am I correct so far? ...Is there any other differences and expectations from these two apps?

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:41 PM