none
Any advice for Project Server 2010 custom webparts development? RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of deploying Project Server 2010 and have identified a need for some custom webparts development to really achieve the functionality we're looking for.  Specifically, we're looking at modifying some of the "Calendar" web parts to display deliverables and modify the layout of the calendar. 

In terms of our deployment this is not something we must have, but it would be really nice.  So, I'm trying to figure out if this is something we should even pursue from a time/budget standpoint (I.E. will it be a costly, involved process or not).  My question is: has anyone out there done any substantial customization of the out of the box Project Server 2010 webparts?  If so:

1. Was the development fairly straightforward?  Could a developer with limited SharePoint knowledge easily learn what they needed to and do it quickly?

2. Was the development effort worth the time and expense. Did your organization actually benefit from it?

3. Any advice for online resources a developer could reference to get up to speed on this?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• By 'Calendar web parts,' do you mean the My Schedule web part in PWA?

The code behind that is in a private assembly, so you couldn't add controls to it. You could modify the grid on it (I think it is a JS Grid control), but that would be a lengthy job to figure out and probably wouldn't do what you want anyway.

It would be a whole lot easier to create a separate Visual Web Part that has the information you want, and add that to a page in PWA. See the Project Server Web Parts section in Getting Started with Development for Project 2010.

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Thanks for the info Jim, that's actually really helpful.  I was indeed thinking of the My Schedule web part but it sounds like that isn't the way to go.  I'll point our devs to the link you provided and maybe we can get going from there.  Thanks again.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 4:24 PM