Moving an existing set of databases from an 2008r2 database server to a new 2012 database server RRS feed

• Question

• User93267240 posted

I need to move a set of databases from a Windows 2008r2 server to a new Windows 2012 database server. I have looked at several articles but have not found the best one listing all of the complete steps in doing this in a way that seems to have the complete process. Can someone direct me to a good article for me to follow in doing this?

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:13 PM

Answers

• User2053451246 posted

1. Install the same version or newer of SQL Server on the new Windows server.

2. If you can shut down the SQL Server service on the current server do that and move all the data and log files to the new server.  If you can't shut down the service right-click each database in SSMS, point to Tasks and click detach.  Then move the data and log files to the new server.

3. On the new server, in SSMS, right-click the Databases node and click Attach.  Attach all the databases you moved.

You can also do this by a simple backup on the old and restore on the new procedure.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:10 PM

All replies

• User2053451246 posted

1. Install the same version or newer of SQL Server on the new Windows server.

2. If you can shut down the SQL Server service on the current server do that and move all the data and log files to the new server.  If you can't shut down the service right-click each database in SSMS, point to Tasks and click detach.  Then move the data and log files to the new server.

3. On the new server, in SSMS, right-click the Databases node and click Attach.  Attach all the databases you moved.

You can also do this by a simple backup on the old and restore on the new procedure.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:10 PM
  • User77042963 posted

You may find Berry Glenn's blog helpful for setting up a new server. The moving part is relatively easy with  a few options but I prefer to use backup and restore (because you should have most recent backups of these databases).

Here is the link to the blog:

https://www.sqlskills.com/help/accidental-dba/?utm_source=accidentaldba&utm_medium=blogs&utm_campaign=training

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:32 PM